Help! Large amount of bark peeling away

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by duvalj, Sep 5, 2015.

1. duvalj

duvalj New Member

I have a large tree in my backyard that appears to have half the bark peeling away (see pictures below). Where the bark is peeling back it seems like it is wet 24/7. Since I am a complete novice with gardens and trees I'm unsure if this is bad, and if it is what caused it and how to save it. The tree has ton of leaves on top so I know its not dead, yet. Also too, the tree looks like it has partially swallowed the fence next to it, so hopefully that isn't the cause of the problem.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It appears that someone cut into the lower part of the tree to attach the fence. This killed the cambium layer on that side of the trunk from ground level to the top of the area photographed, and the affected cambium layer (with bark) peeled off. The tree is trying to regrow the cambium in that area, and it mostly looks pretty healthy. However, the lower area around the fence attachment is probably rotting; the rot will spread through the whole trunk eventually, unless it can be cleaned out. If you care about the tree, have an arborist assess the situation and provide recommendations. If survival of the tree is not important, you could remove the attached fence material, clean out as much of the rotten wood as practical, and hope for the best.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I agree with vitog that the problem has been created by the fence.

It looks to me like somebody nailed the fence to the tree so the tree, when growing, was unable to simply push the fence away.
    It also looks like the fence material had been heavily treated with preservative that could kill the adjacent cambium inside the tree, but is protecting the fence inside the tree from rotting.

First of all, I would remove the foreign object (the fence) from the wound as soon as possible. I would also check if the similar situation is not developing on the other side of the tree where the fence looks suspiciously close.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    is it a native cottonwood tree?

5. duvalj

duvalj New Member

It does look like the previous owner of my house nailed part of the fence to other side of the tree but the nails aren't really sticking into the tree and the fence more or less is leaning against it.

I'll try to remove the part of fence that is inside the wound and see what happens.

Thanks for your advice

I don't know my trees well at all so I am not sure

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  6. Georgia Strait

how tall is your tree?

and look up the leaf shape - and overall tree shape - it looks like Cottonwood but I can't tell exactly from photos. Some cottonwoods live a long time - and some rot out and start dropping major branches, pieces - so you might want to be on the safe side and choose a diff tree for safety etc. (I am NOT an arborist, just someone who has had a cottonwood in our yard)

cottonwoods do get in to drainage, septic, swim pool, etc lines. They like water. And their roots are bumpy thru a lawn, gravel or paved area.

start here for some ID help ---- tho I am surprised that E Flora does not offer any photos of black cottonwood - no photos anyone?

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/eflora/E-FloraTreesofBritishColumbia.html

then scroll down the list to ---- Salicaceae (Willow Family) - look at Balsam and black cottonwood links

does YOUR tree have any sticky buds and fluffy white material coming off the tree in - say - April or May each year? Does it (the tree) have a distinct scent?

moderator: pls feel free to correct me - this is based on my experience not as a professional tree person.

7. duvalj

duvalj New Member

It's about 40ft tall. I'll have to get on the roof to take a good leaf sample

8. Arclight

Arclight New Member

It looks like from those pictures that you're seeing what is called 'Ram's Horns, where the wound response of the tree caused the callus (that differentiates to produce vascular cambium, then woundwood) didn't form a proper seal. What happens next is as the tree grows the woundwood curls inward.

[​IMG]

Eventually this could very well cause the tree to rot and crack from the inside since the resistance to pests has been reduced since the wound didn't seal.

[​IMG]

If I am correct I highly recommend you get an arborist to take that tree down lest it cause property damage or possibly kill someone.

9. Georgia Strait

yes, I tend to agree w/ previous poster here - I have seen lots of freeze damage on decid trees and they never heal - esp with what - on your tree OP - appears to be a significant wound (dimensions would be helpful along w/ tree ID). Call your tree expert - and your insurance company to see what the insurer requires.

make some nice firewood - tho if it is Cottonwood, it burns fast and makes lots of ash.

and replace your privacy and shade and nature with another tree appropriate to the setting of your backyard.

10. duvalj

duvalj New Member

If the leaves are still looking pretty green and healthy is there any positivity to the future of this tree?

11. Arclight

Arclight New Member

It's more of a structural issue than a leaf issue.

If the leaves are green yet there is considerable damage done to the trunk to the point where it cannot ward off pests, rots, or diseases it will only become more hazardous over time if it is indeed the problem. There really is only so much I, or we, can suggest based on pictures; you're gonna have to get a certified arborist from your area to check it out because he or she can evaluate the tree further.

Though I would strongly suggest that you have the tree inspected ASAP because more could be happening below ground that your picture cannot possibly tell us.

12. Georgia Strait

I agree with prev post ... green leaves are one thing - structure is another - AND - please consider hiring a certified professional experienced tree person to inspect it - check with your insurance company about what requirements they need to see on a letter that they will put in your file to show it's healthy (if it is). I am not a tree professional, this is my experience as a homeowner in BC.