Help growing ponytail palm from seeds

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by nickels, Oct 18, 2007.

1. nickels

nickels Member

Since I killed one of my wife's favorite plants by over watering it - I decided it was time to try and grow our own "sentimental" tree with the kids. So, I got 5 Pony Tail Palm seeds on ebay, but there are no instructions on what to do next???

It is fall and the weather outside is still warm but getting colder. Is it too late to try and grow these seeds indoor, or should I wait till spring? Do I soak the seeds first and then put all 5 seeds in one pot, and what size pot? What then, keep the soil moist but not wet? Do I keep it on the window sill so it gets lots of sun or off to the side so it gets indirect sunlight? Should I mix plant soil with some sand so that it has better drainage?

Any help in growing these seeds is much appreciated. I am a total newbie to taking care of/growing plant life, so please feel free to be as specific as possible.

Thanks!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

If I have had any success at all with seeds like this it is with wet paper towel. Place the seeds in between two layers of moist paper towel and make sure it stays moist. Keeping it in a sealed container often helps retain the moisture.

Hopefully, some of the seeds with begin to germinate. Then you can very gently and carefully transfer them to a seedling tray and mix...common tweezers work well.

Your best bet is to go to your local nursery/garden center and purchase one of those inexpensive plastic seedling trays with the clear cover. Fill it with a loose seedling mix (often sold as "seedling mix"). A good idea would be to get one of those warming mats that fit underneath the seedling tray. Keep the mix evenly and slightly moist...not wet or else you'll end up with a moldy mess. It should get light, but not direct sunlight or else the seedlings will get too warm or be damaged.

Having said all of that, sometimes it is a lot less trouble to just purchase a seedling. To each, their own and good luck with the project.

Mark

3. nickels

nickels Member

Thanks for the advice!

I know this isn't the easy route, but that is what will make it more special if it grows successfully!