Help,Aloe plant dying because of overwatering,fungus,or too much sun?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by temjin09, Jul 3, 2009.

1. temjin09

temjin09 Member

Hi I'm new to this gardening thing.I bought an aloe plant last year around Sept and left it outside until about October-ish and brought it indoor for the winter. During the winter I notice that black spots were developing on the aloe, since about May I've left it outdoors, but I'm not sure if its doing ok or slowing dying.

I water it about every 5 - 7 days, about 1 liter of water. It's in a potted in a clay about 25cm across with a 2 cm hole at the bottom with a mixture of sand and " cactus soil". So what causing the brown leaves? This didn't happen last year when i left it out,and what about the black/brown spots, is it sunburns or a fungus, over watering ?

Thanks

Chuck C.

Can the mod or admin move this to the right forum?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks over-watered. unpot and check the roots to see if they're rotting.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes looks like daughter's specimen and hers was definatly too wet. They store water in leaves so a bit like cactus too much is not good. They are adapted to dry conditions.

Well drained soil and a water every so often when the soil is dry down to at least first knuckle. .

"Cultivation
    A few species will tolerate light frosts but many are tender and all prefer warm dry conditions. They should be planted in a position in full sun with light, very free-draining soil. They can tolerate soils of low fertility. Water when actively growing and flowering, but otherwise keep dry. Numerous species adapt to greenhouse or container conditions quite well. Propagation is from offsets, stem cuttings, or seed."
    http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1866769.htm

http://www.aloe-vera.org/plants.htm

Liz