Hardiness of Polylepis tarapacana

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Deneb1978, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows the hardiness of Polylepis tarapacana? I know they grow very high up in the Andes (some as high as 4600m above sea level). Could they be tried in the Pacific Northwest or would you say they are too tender for here and primarily restricted to California and further south on the west coast of North America (USDA zone 9 and above)?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Doubt Polylepis tarapacana would be very tolerant of BC conditions - winter wet would likely rot it. Also, although it may get very cold at night where it is native, the days are hot and it would never experience the sub-zero daytime temperatures one gets a few of in most winters in BC.

If you want to try a Polylepis, go for P. australis from further south in the Andes, where climatic conditions are much more like BC. This species is hardy throughout Britain, and even in Denmark (zone 7), one of very few South American plants which can be grown there - one in København Botanical Gardens came through the 1981/82 winter, when temperatures went below -25°C.

3. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Wow sounds very interesting... I was doubtful if Polylepis tarapacana could make it here but just wanted to see.... P. Australis does sound like a much better fit. I'm sure it could survive here as I think the all-time low for Vancouver is -18C. Would you say they are hardier than Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle)? Do they grow in the same habitat? There are plenty of mature specimens of A. araucana here.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, I'd agree it is a little hardier than Araucaria araucana. Perhaps not quite as hardy as Nothofagus antarctica (the hardiest South American tree), but not far short. Good soil drainage is probably still important though.