growing tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by tgplp, Jan 13, 2010.

1. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any tips for tomato growing. I have some seedlings growing under a two foot fluorescent light, on shelves inside. They have all sprouted, and have their two seed leaves. Some are beginning to get baby true leaves. Their stems are slightly purple... is this normal? And how often should i be watering? I have read many websites that say to water when the soil gets dry, but i'm not sure. I don't want the seedlings to wilt! And also, does anyone have any favorite tomato varieties they recomend?
    Thanks for any help!

2. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

What type of tomato plants are you growing? It sounds like they are fine I never really noticed if my tomato seedlings were any colour so I dont know if that is normal or not. If they look healthy and are still growing then maby its just the way they are supposed to be. I grow little grape tomatoes in catlitter buckets. (lol)

3. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Thanks for replying! I'm new to this, i just joined today.
    I am growing lots of types of tomatoes...! I'm growing a cherry tomato, and a couple types of dwarf tomatoes, silvery fir tree tomatoes, stupice tomatoes, and a siletz tomato. Some more types of seeds are coming in the mail, as well. I think that you are right, and tomatoes are supposed to have slightly purple stems. I know that if the leaves turn purple, something is wrong. But the leaves have not turned purple yet, so I think the tomato seedlings are fine.

4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Grats on new account. The tomatoes you are growing I havent even heard of most of them. Good luck with them.

5. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Thanks Jreidsma! Good luck growing your grape tomatoes!

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

Hi tgplp

I think you have planted your tomato seeds a little early, unless you have a greenhouse. You only want to start them about eight weeks before you can transplant them outside. In Vancouver that was around May 25th and I would think that the timing would be the same in Seattle. Tomatoes like it to be warm. You could put them out a little earlier, if they are protected by a plastic tunnel or something similar.

Last year I did start some plants about a month earlier than normal, which was in the beginning of March. I had to transplant them into 1 gallon pots as they just got too big. In the end the plants that I started earlier, did no better than the ones that I started a month earlier. They always seem to recommend that you start them eight weeks before setting them out. It would seem that there are good reasons for that.

7. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Hey JanR! I have planted these tomato seedlings a little early... but actually, the last frost in the seattle area is March 21! Very surprising... but it's true. So i've only planted them out a week or two early. And, i have so many extra seeds, if these guys don't make it, i can always plant back ups. I guess i'm kinda doing a science experiment.
    One more question... are the stems of a tomato seedling supposed to turn slightly purple?
    Thanks!

8. JanR

JanR Active Member

The last last frost may be in March, but it still too cold for tomatoes. :( Check with your local garden center and see when they recommend transplanting tomatoes.

I don't know about purple stems, but purple leave can indicate that they are too cold. There is also a nutrient deficiency can can cause them to go purple, but I can't remember what it is.

It is a phosphorus deficiency that can cause purple leaves

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

JanR,
    you're right... maybe i shouldn't have planted them this early. I guess i'll just see what happens. What time do recomend for me to plant the tomato seeds? I have more seeds left over, so maybe i should plant two batches of seeds???
    Thanks!
    ~tgplp

10. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

There is an old saying...

"Tomatoes and squash never fail to reach maturity. You can spray them with acid, beat them with sticks and burn them; they love it" ~ 1951

: )

The reddish tinge isn't really too much to be concerned about, but keeping the seedlings warm may help to correct this, as Jan already alluded to.

I recommend "Patio" tomato as an excellent variety for beginners. Very compact and easy to grow. It is perfect for a pot, but can be great in the garden too. It will even produce indoors in a cool sunny windowsill over winter!

: o

One great thing about gardening that I always like to encourage, is experimentation. Tomatoes are just too darn easy and fast growing to care too much. They really aren't all that fussy.

If they don't work out in the house for you, just sow some more seeds at the proper time later. In the meantime...have fun!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  11. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Thanks, Hollyberry Lady! In the mail, I ordered two varieties of tomato seeds called Red Robin Tomato and Yellow Canary tomato, and I ordered them from a site called containerseeds.com. It said they were both great for putting in pots, or growing in a sunny window or hanging pot. They both grow about a foot tall... is this the kind of thing i should be growing? I am probably going to grow the red robin in a sunny window, and the yellow canary outside in my garden. Does this sound like a good idea???
    Thanks for the help!
    ~tgplp

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, an excellent idea! I've grown Red Robin before - very nice variety. You are most welcome.

Good luck...

13. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Really? You've grown Red Robin tomatoes before?! I'm so glad! Everyone else i've asked said they've never even heard of a Red Robin tomato!
    Thanks, again, Hollyberry Lady!
    ~tgplp :)

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I grew them about three or four years back, but still have seeds too. I think you are going to enjoy them. A good determinate variety for beginners.

15. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would recommend that you plant more seeds, 8 weeks before your want to transplant them out. In your area, that would be around March 25th. you will need to transplant them into bigger pots at around 4 weeks, when that have four sets of true leaves. You don't want them to go into too big a pot too soon.

16. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Alright, I'll do that, Janr! And thanks to you too, Hollyberry Lady! March always comes so slowly. I just have that itch to get gardening! That's probably why I starting my veggie plants so early. Oh well, I'll see what happens, and start more seeds around March 20th.
    ~tgplp

17. The Hollyberry Lady

I totally understand the 'itch' to garden thing - it's like an addiction.

I sure hope you will be able to bestow on us some shots of your tomatoes this winter as they grow. I have a feeling it will work out well for you.

Good luck.

18. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

I certainly hope my tomatoes do well! I'd love to share some pictures of them as they grow.
    Thanks! :) Do you think I could give 20-20-20 fertilizer to my seedlings? Do they need to be older?
    ~tgplp

19. The Hollyberry Lady

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not that experienced, but when they are young the solution must be very weak and diluted. I don't want you to kill them, so don't worry about it for a bit...

How long since they sprouted?

20. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Um.... they sprouted about a week ago... on January 6th. They are about 1 and a half inches tall, and some have baby true leaves starting to get bigger. I think you're right, I shouldn't give them fertilizer until they are older... I don't want to kill them either, of course! :)
    Thanks for your help!
    ~tgplp

21. JanR

JanR Active Member

When you fertilize depends on what kind of soil they are growing in. If you started the seeds in a seed starter mix, there is very little fertilizer in there. In that case you need to started feeding them soon. I would use something like 15-30-15 as you want to get lots of flowers. :)

You could always plant some seeds around March 1st and if the weather is really nice in the beginning of May they will do fine. Then plant a few more seeds around Mar 25th. It will be an interesting experiment to see which do best.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

But...

if you don't have a lot of money and you just want to use what you have and keep things simple, as a lot of gardeners do, an all-purpose 20-20-20 will be alright. However I like to use 15-30-15 too.

If you can't be bothered to buy a starter fertilizer, which is what I use for tender seedlings, just use what you have at 1/4 strength. This will suffice and they will get going for you. Once they're about 3-4 weeks old, I fertilize mine at full strength.

Also...

If you are a beginner at gardening, fertilizing can be a scary thing - especially if you are prone to over-doing it, as most of us gardeners are. Just remember..."less is best" when they're young and first starting out.

If you are using Miracle Grow soil, you will not need to worry about fertilizing for at least a couple months.

23. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

That would be a fun experiment, JanR! I'll try it, and tell you what happens.
    I need help with fertilizing... there are no directions on the fertilizer, because i just found it in a glass jar in my garage... so how much should i use? I've never fertilized tomatoes before, so I don't even know how. Can someone please help me?
    Thanks! :)
    ~tgplp

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Get a 2L pop bottle and fill it full of luke warm water. Whatever the directions are on the package, apply a 1/4 of that amount to the bottle and shake well...

Then water the little seedlings until it pours out the bottom. Apply once a week. Easy.

25. JanR

JanR Active Member

Is this 20-20-20 fertilizer a fine grain or is it a coarse grain. I am just wondering if it is a fertilizer that is designed to be used dry or mixed with water?