Growing Olive tree seeds?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by bzm3r, May 13, 2009.

1. bzm3r

bzm3r Member

Hi,

I recently acquired some olive tree (olea europaea) seeds, and would like guidance on how to go about germinating them.

The instructions that come with the seed mention that I should just sow them in some "sowing mix" and cover them with a 3mm layer of sowing mix or vermiculite and then place it in an area that has a temperature of around 18-20C with plenty of light. The soil should be kept moist.

However, I have read on some other resources on the internet, that soaking them in hot water for 24-48 hours is also quite helpful, and viable seeds tend to sink after about 24 hours in the water. Placing these seeds in a setup similar to that described above will then yield good results.

Another resource stated that storing the seeds in a cool environment (10C) for 3-4 weeks, and then sowing them at around 20C yields better results then just sowing the seeds at 20C straight away.

I do not know a lot about seed germination/plant propagation, so I tried to make an effort to do some research on the matter, but have ended up more unsure on who to trust or what to do.

Thus, if someone could provide some guidance, or point me to a resource which they are sure is valid, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    bzm3r