Growing Japanese Maples Zone 7b

Discussion in 'Maples' started by GA_Maples, Nov 29, 2017.

1. GA_Maples

GA_Maples New Member

Hello,

I have grown Japanese Maples before. I planted about 400 seeds from a mature Japanese Maple about 3 years ago. From this, approximately 150 grew for 2 years. They grew enough that it was becoming annoying to carry water jugs to the garden. I hooked up my well water, ran it a few times to "clean" it, then watered the trees thinking the water was good. They all died!

Anyways. From the same mature tree, I have collected approximately 5,000 seeds this past year. I will put them in Ziploc bags with soil and allow the seeds to soften and begin germination in the refrigerator.

My question pertains to how I should go from this point. I want to make sure I do everything as right as possible as this could become a side business. My question to you would be how to take the seeds from the fridge to the outside world. I have a greenhouse with a 50% shade cover.

I was thinking of buying the following (https://www.amazon.com/Seedling-Starter-Germination-Labels-6-cell/dp/B00BRQ3QWK) to allow germination to go further. Can I go straight from the fridge outside? Is there a best soil? A best amount of water? A best pH? Any other key elements? Is there a way to judge the height of the tree to determine the width of the new container I should move it to? Should I keep it under 50% shade always or until a certain time period, then move to full sun?

I appreciate any and all expertise. Thank you.

- GA_Maples

2. Michael F

Michael F Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Japanese Maples prefer slightly acidic soil (pH 5-6). Do you know what pH your well water is? I'd guess it might be quite alkaline? So maybe set up a rainwater collection system, to store what runs off your roof, etc.

3. GA_Maples

GA_Maples New Member

I'm not sure what the pH of the water was from the well. I'd guess it was alkaline.
    1) Do you think those containers are a good idea to let the seedlings grow in?
    2) Is there a best soil type to use?
    3) Should I leave in 50% shade or move to direct sunlight from the fridge?
    4) Are there any other recommendations you have?

Thank you.

4. AlainK

AlainK Active Member Forums Moderator Maple Society

1/ For the first year, yes. Then repot in individual containers
    2/ A rather free-draining mix: most trees, including maples, resent being kept in a very moist environment all the time. The kind of soil I use for seedlings is, roughly 1/3rd composted pine bark and 2/3rd inorganic mix (pumice, pozzolane, or the like)
    3/ I'd say 50 % shade

A.K.