growing carrots indoors....?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by tgplp, Jan 14, 2010.

1. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Hi! I got some carrot seeds- they are called parisian market carrots. They are round, sphere shaped little carrots. I planted them in yogurt cups and set them under a grow light indoors. Do you think they will grow okay indoors? I'm scared to plant them outside! We usually don't get many more frosts, but we still get a few. And the last frost date here is March 21.... and i really wanted to grow carrots, because I love garden fresh carrots!
    Does anyone have any growing carrots indoors tips? Anything will help!
    Thanks!
    ~tgplp

2. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i've never tried it myself, but i say you should go for it. make sure the containers are big enough and that the soil drains well. are there holes in the bottoms of the yogurt cups?

3. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Thank you so much for reminding me of good drainage! I need help, though! There aren't holes in the bottoms of the yogurt cups! I know i should have punched holes in them, but i put the soil and the seeds in the yogurt cups, and totally forgot! What should i do? Any ideas of how i can get holes in the bottom without hurting the seeds?
    Thanks, leaf kotasek!
    ~tgplp
    P.S. i'm pretty sure the yogurt cups are big enough- the carrots are supposed to be about the size of a nickel, or a little bigger, when full grown. They are going to be such cute little round carrots!

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

A yogurt container is unlikely to be big enough to grow carrots and carrots do not transplant well as the roots will become distorted. I would wait to plant carrots until you can plant them outside. They can be planted in early spring.

You could also try planting them in deeper containers. I would think at least a foot deep. Even little carrots have deep roots.

5. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Thanks for the advice! I think you're right, they should be grown outdoors... but since i already planted the seeds, i guess i'll see how they turn out. Does any one know how to poke a hole in a yogurt container while there are seeds and soil in it already? I forgot to poke holes in it!
    ~tgplp

6. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

just find something ridiculously sharp and pointy, hold the cup up and POKE. hehe. i don't know if that would work. you could try making little slits on the sides right at the bottom with a boxcutter. or just be super careful to not overwater.

janr IS probably right about the cups being too small, but i don't think there's much you can do now. just plant another crop outside when it's warmer.

7. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Leaf kotasec,
    yes, Janr is probably right. I am going to go look for something extremely sharp and poky, then i will poke it. Please stand by................ uh oh..... nothing is sharp enough! Usually when i poke holes in a plastic container, I make a dent on the bottom, then punch it through in the inside! But now the inside is covered in dirt! What do i do now? Should i just try hard not to overwater?
    ~tgplp

8. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

A friend of mine successfully grow carrots indoors. Go for it!

I've heard the 'Parmex' variety is also good for container gardening, just fyi :)