Propagation: Growing Capers in Ontario?!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Chiara Ubertino, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Chiara Ubertino

Chiara Ubertino New Member

Does anyone know or have any tips about the ambitious prospect of growing capers in Ontario? I've researched a bit. No local plants are available from nurseries. Seeds have a very low germination rate, need stratification. They need rocky/sandy/gravelly soil. In Ontario (ZONE 5), they would not survive outdoors in winter and would need to be brought indoors. They are ideally being grown for their buds (eating). I am thinking of some sort of container that has many sizes of large and small gravel-- the main objective being that I can move it indoors in the fall and hopefully have it d=survive indoors in the winter. All very ambitious, but possibly doable?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Chiara, from what I've read here: Caper - Capparis spinosa it seems like you'll also want to try to keep it in a low-humidity environment during the summer -- is that possible in your part of Ontario?

Looks like signficant production after 3 years.

3. Chiara Ubertino

Chiara Ubertino New Member

Thank you Daniel! Good to hear from you, here! I love that this forum exists by the way! Ok, thank you for this link, it has some good pointers. It's for a friend actually. Low humidity may be yet another challenge with this, but at least the location is not near a big lake. (1 hour north of Toronto).

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Sandy MacDonald

Sandy MacDonald New Member

Richter's Herbs supplies both Capparis spinosa; and a Caucasian variant, Capparis herbacea, which might like your conditions better...