Growing California buckeye from seed

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by link2007, Nov 25, 2007.

1. link2007

link2007 Active Member

I am trying to grow California Buckeyes (Aesculus californica) for my school. Does anyone here know the right way to propagate them from seed, or at least know a website that describes the method?

This is what I have done so far:

I have planted the buckeyes in 5 gallon pots with well draining soil. I put two or three in each pot, just barely burying the buckeyes. I have kept the pot constantly moist, but not soggy or like a bog.

Is this the right way?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

With buckeyes in general....plant as soon as ripe. They do not tolerate any drying out whatsoever. California Buckeye also generally germinate as soon as planted & it does not require cold stratification (same for many buckeye species). Germination will start with the growth of a long tap root, you may not see any above ground action for a while. Try leaving the pots outside, bringing them in only if a frost is predicted, and keep them moist, not wet.

3. link2007

link2007 Active Member

Thank you for the help! (:

4. aesculuscalifornica

aesculuscalifornica Member

So when is a good time to transplant it into the ground? We (in sunny and dry Salinas, CA) have one that's now about 6" tall that grew from a seed.

What fertilizer balance is best, and what transplanting prep do you recommend??

Thanks,
    Melissa & Nick

California Buckeyes