Growing Adenium obseum from seeds

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by jreidsma, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I'm trying to grow a adenium obesum from seeds, it has been planted a couple days. Do you know if you have to trim the plants? I'm new to this plant and bonsai.

2. corcor

corcor Active Member

Re: Succulents As Bonsai

Let them grow out for a while, trimming them too young will just kill them. I would say wait to trim until they reach 1/2 inch thick. Good luck with the seeds, I tried some a while back but kept them too moist and none sprouted

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

They finnaly have roots comeing out of them! The first seed I planted was a dud but I just planted 2 seeds about 2 days ago and they have sprouted. I filled the pot with miracle grow cactus and palm soil then I put about half an inch of coconut lizard and frog dirt stuff. Its the stuff I use for my tarantula and my other pets. Then I gave it a watering then put the seeds on top. They were just sitting in my room were it is about 75+ degrees F. during the day and about 65 F. during the night.

4. sphere

sphere Member

Adenium needs sun light as much as possible, so when they are two months old you can try to bring them outside.

5. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

ya I will put them outside when it gets warm enough but right now its maby 30 degrees F. so they cant be put outside right now. I will try to get them as much sun light as posible.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The variety that you most likely will be growing is Adenium obesum (subsp. swazicum). This is the most popular variety which produces striking trumpet shaped white flower with red margins. Adeniums are tropical plants, native from the southern sections of Arabia south to northeast Africa. In warmer sections of temperate climates, Adeniums can be grown against a hot sunny wall, but in the cooler climates they require a greenhouse with HIGH LIGHT LEVELS away from other plants that would cast shade upon them. The plant is both very drought and VERY heat tolerant, requiring little watering during the winter. However, watering through summer and autumn promotes leaf growth and often prolongs flowering. Adeniums are normally propagated either from seed or cuttings which are allowed to callus before planting. If you cut the plant, or if it is broken, they bleed a milky sap which is believed to be poisonous. There are varieties that grow as high as 15 feet (4.5 m). - Millet (1,137-)

7. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

ya its a Adenium obesum I bought 10 seeds from seedrack.com the whatcom seeds company. The seeds that just sprouted just died I guess they dried out to fast. I will try again.