Groundcovers

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by carefree, Jun 12, 2005.

1. carefree

carefree Member

I'm looking for a groundcover for between pavers on my patio. I need an evergreen that doesn't attract bees, can handle heavy traffic sun or shade, and that looks nice. I was thinking of thyme but I know that bees like them alot. Are there any forms of thyme that don't flower?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    This is a reply to the June 12th posting on groundcover suggestions wanted for pathways - suggesting the poster go to the new Groundcover forum. Thymes are wonderful for pathways, and try Corsican Sandwort [Arenarea balearica]

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Thymes do attract bees, though, and I wonder why carefree doesn't want bees... I so far, being new to groundcovers, would suggest the Corsican Sandwort [Arenaria balearica], bog cranberry Vaccinium oxycoccus although it doesn't seem to be super-vigorous and may need lots of moisture, and the one I would like to learn more about which seems like a tight, very low carpet, not very vigorous but widening, Hypericum empetrifolium nanum [label also says St. John's Wort, although the plant is tiny and flat]... and the very tiny thymes like elfin thyme...

4. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I highly recommend 'Elfin' thyme for between stepping stones...
    A couple of other extremely low groundcovers that have very insignificant flowers (presumably not too attractive to bees) are rupturewort (Herniaria glabra) and Bolax gummerifera. I haven't tried the latter between stepping stones, but it would certainly work in ours, given that the ground level between the stones is recessed (so the plant itself doesn't have to withstand being stepped on).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007