Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by funnyfarmherbs, Oct 25, 2007.

1. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

Cool website, glad I found it. At this time all of my aroids are outside on a concrete slab covered with 90% shade cloth, it was a freebie. I believe many of the plants would benifit from more light. I have misters set with timers every 6 hours and use a lot of perlite so everything drains well and the cement stays wet so I have a good humidity. I have a 16 x 96 greenhouse frame up and will be getting the covering this week. I have a very diverse mixture of plants which all like differant enviroments. My thoughts were to get a 55% 30 x 20 shad and a 45% 30 x 20 shade and leave the other 40 foot open for my sun lovers. I intend to put misters on the first third and have 3 differant watering zones and lighting zones in the same greenhouse. How about some input. Thanks Bruce

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Brian or LariAnn would be better at suggesting shade cloth thickness. In my atrium they receive 50% light in most areas. Some areas have so many plants the natural canopy has reduced the light. If you read the "Anthurium Primer" I just posted (all three parts) you might learn a bit more that would be helpful to you.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I have one of my Birds nest Anthuriums in nearly full sun and it doesn't seem to mind that much...

Ed

4. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

For general aroid purposes, I use 60% shade cloth, but some Alocasias and Philodendrons will require more light (40% shade). Full sun plants I would recommend 20% or 30% shade because of the intensity of our full sun, at least down here in S. Fla.!

Why is that so? Well, "full sun" in an equatorial rainforest situation is not the same as "full sun" in a subtropical or temperate summer climate situation. For example, Anthurium species that can grow in "full sun" in an equatorial rainforest will be toasted in "full sun" in a subtropical or temperate summer. This is because so much of the day in "full sun" in the equatorial rainforest is clouded and rainy! Keep this in mind when placing plants in "full sun", no matter what the native habitat may appear to be on the surface.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

5. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

Thank you LariAnn
    It is so much better getting advise rather than learning from our mistakes. Bruce

6. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bruce,
    I have a greenhouse growing area as well. Its 5 years old. Its called "Tropica". It started life glazed with clear single wall Lexan, which is about all we need down here in Florida (its much much harder to cool the enclosure adequately in summer than it is to heat it to 60F in winter), but unless I clean it religiously every 6 months, its not kept clear. Its extremely humid inside, generally 60-90% year round. It is planted around the perimeter outside with a variety of plants that help keep it warm in winter as well. I would esimate that light transmission through the roof is maybe 80%, and the sides provide dappled light. Its very bright and airy inside. I don't use any shadecloth at all, I have never needed any.

If you are interested, I have a website (still under construction, but it gives a good idea) at this URL:
    http://www.att.net/p/PWP-tropica