Propagation: Greenhouse Epiphyllum Oxypetalum Question

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Amac, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Amac

Amac Member

I have a Epiphyllum oxypetalum and was wondering how it would do if I potted some of the leaves and put it in my greenhouse. The greenhouse has diffused lighting, so no direct light, but hot summer days. What do y'all think?

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't know about rooting the leaves, - perhaps. However, normally an Epiphyllum (Orchid Cactus) is propagated easily by cuttings placed in sand. Seeds grow well only after several months of storage. I have never heard of the plant being started from leaves, but I would appreciate it if you would get back to us if you are successful with leaves. - Millet

3. Amac

Amac Member

The plant I have started with a leaf that I was given. I put it in a sand soil mixture and watered it weekly. It took about 6 months before it started growing and now it is have several long runners with a lot of leaves. I am going to cut several off and put them in a pot in my greenhouse and see what happens.

I let y'all know what happens.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Great, I'll look forward to your response. - Millet

5. Amac

Amac Member

Well I took 6 leaves off of my plant, stuck them in a potting mixture of Miracle gro and sand and placed them in my greenhouse.... after about 2 months, I have multiple sprouts coming from the pot. It is growing well.....

thank y'all
    Andy