Greenery found in a floral bouquet

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Kololia, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Kololia

Kololia Member

Hi: I am curious to know the name of a greenery plant which I found in a bouquet of flowers I bought in October. At this moment, the greenery is growing--small growths on and underneath the leaves! I have been changing the water in the vase and am astonished to see what is happening to this greenery! I have taken some pictures of this plant/greenery and would like to include them so someone else may see it and probably would be able to tell me the name of the plant!

I hope someone will be able to tell me the name of the plant -- I will be able to attach moe pictures, if necessary!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

It's a species of Ruscus. There are several very similar species with foliage like this that are tricky to tell apart, R. hypophyllum, R. hypoglossum and R. microglossum if I remember rightly.

3. Kololia

Kololia Member

Tony R.: I am very grateful for the information I received tonight. I have written these names in my book and will watch to see how far I can "take" this greenery! :-)
    Thanks, a million. I am very appreciative of this.

Kololia

4. Kololia

Kololia Member

Thanks, TonyR. I am most grateful for the information. I will continue to watch this greenery and see how long it will last! :-) At least I have a name to go on now! Thanks, again! Kololia

5. flourish

flourish Member

We use this a lot here in New Zealand. It is pobably the longest lasting foliage you can get the isnt dried. It fabulous for corperate office arrangement as it is so hardy it won't die. It lasts up to a month I found. The leaves can be used wired in wedding bouquet and corsages... Very useful

6. Kololia

Kololia Member

Hi Flourish

Thanks for the response to my request for identification of the greenery. Someone from Australia sent me the name, etc. of the plant. I was so happy to know what it is. It is called Ruscus. Yes, it is VERY hardy--I have had it in water since October 8, 2006! It is still going strong, thank you! :-)

Thanks, again. Happy new year!