Green House Plane With Large Leaves

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tbilisi, Jun 13, 2010.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

It is certainly possible but the plant is not yet mature enough. It will need to at least double its current size. Most of my flowering plants are close to three meters (around 8 feet) but I've had them grow to well beyond 4 meters (over 12 feet). Evenly damp soil and a frequent doses of diluted fertilizer are the key but moderately bright light will certainly help.

This will tell you about the growth of Alocasia odora and give you hints to come up with a better identification:
    http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Alocasia odora2 pc.html

Once the plant flowers you will see a yellowish spathe surrounding a whitish spadix. The spathe is not a flower; it is only a modified leaf. The true flowers grow on the spadix with the male flowers on the exposed part and the female flowers securely hidden inside a floral chamber that appears in the shape of a "globe". If you are fortunate enough to have an insect pollinate it then the female flowers will develop and the spathe will totally drop from the plant. After a few months the female floral chamber will split open to reveal red berries. Each berry will contain two to three seeds and are easily grown in very loose potting soil.

We have already seen 8 inflorescences this year and all but one have already produced seeds.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. photopro

By the way, The Genera of Araceae is very technical reading and unless you are a dedicated "nut-case" like me it isn't particularly fun to read! I'm just way beyond hooked!

Steve

3. photopro

There is a single known species of Cryptocoryne (an aquatic aroid) that can be reproduced from a leaf cutting. Attempts to reproduce all other species via this method have failed. Dr. Croat reported having seen a few species of aroids at least appearing to regenerate plants solely from roots but never kept a list.

I have recommended an aroid PhD candidate take this on as a thesis project for Doctoral thesis.

After several days of being batted around with experts, there are still few aroid species known to be capable of this type of growth. As with Cryptocoryne it still appears only the single species of Gonatopus is capable of this growth form.

None of the large leafy aroids have been reported to have this ability.