Identification: Green Calla Lily??

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by lana8512, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lana8512

lana8512 Active Member

In my yard there is what appears to be a calla lily of some sort. It grows only about a foot tall and has what I think is an unusually large stamen for its size in yellow 5-7 inches. The flower is light lime green and transparent with almost no stem. The flowers look like if you took limey green tissue paper and crumpled it up and then tried to flatten out again. The leaves are green with white viens. Here is a poor picture and it has already gone to seed so I couldn't post a flower pic. Know what this is?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Arum italicum?

welcome to the Forum!

3. lana8512

lana8512 Active Member

I looked up the arum italicum and it is very similar however the seed pods on my plants are green and have shown no signs of turning red or even yellow as of yet. The blooms died off a couple months ago so the pods have been growing for about 2 months. I am assuming they are mature at this point. In fact I pulled one of the cones off today and two of the seeds have started to sprout. Is this unusual? I thought that was amazing considering what I am reading about how hard it is to plant calla lilies from seeds. Does the arum italicum type of lily always have red pods?

On a side note I was thinking of planting this is my yard from seed but I am reading that it is invasive and become a problem. Is this likely?

4. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

On a side note I was thinking of planting this is my yard from seed but I am reading that it is invasive and become a problem. Is this likely?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is likely - poke around on other forum entries for this plant and you will see a full discussion.