Grape for Zone 5 Kootenays B.

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by WoodlandJennifer, Nov 7, 2007.

1. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

I would like to plant two different grapes on lattice on front of house, south-west aspect. I live in the Kootenays, B.C. and would appreciate some suggestions.
    Frost comes here around mid October.

I am interested in seedless eating varieties. Is Interlaken still good for this area, and is it still possible to find. Would something else be better?

This year my husband's grapes were all loaded with whitefly as were my roses. I have never seen anything like it.

Thank you, Jennifer

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Interlaken is the least hardy of the 4 most popular seedless grapes in the BC/Washington/Oregon (and even Idaho) growing region. The others in increasing order of hardiness are Himrod, Canadice, and Reliance. Himrod and Interlaken are green/white while Canadice and Reliance are reds. Interlaken is the earliest to ripen. Another good variety that is reasonably hardy is Vanessa Red (seedless), ripening about 4 weeks before Concord. If possible, grow at least a couple of these to decide what is best for your area and microclimate.

Ralph

3. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

Ralph, thank you very much for your response. I shall try and obtain the Himrod, Canadice and Reliance.
    Jennifer

4. Ralph Walton

5. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

Ralph, thanks for the link. I couldn't get to the spot you had in mind but did get on to Cornell. I shall browse through tomorrow. A lot of things which interest me there.

I shall look fpurchase the Vanessa also if I can find it. I have enough room for all four. My closest cities are Vernon and Kelowna so shall try the garden centres there, also look for them in a catalogue via the web.
    Thanks again, I do appreciate your help. Jennifer

6. JLD55

JLD55 Member

I live in Vernon - your best bet for rooted cuttings is at Art Knapp... I'm not sure if they have the Vanessa variety, but they root several different types on-site. Swan Lake only has the mass produced ones that come from the coast and I'm not sure of any other quality places in the Vernon area.

Good luck,
    Joe

7. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

Joe, thank you for that information. I shall ask at Art Knapp next time I am over.
    Two inches of snow in two hours and coming down fast. Good winter mulch.
    Jennifer

8. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

I've worked with most of the seedless grape varieties over the last 25 years- Interlaken, Sovereign Cornation, Reliance, Venus, Mars Canadice, Vanessa, Sooke, Skookum etc.are all varieties you could try out there. Bylands Nursery in Kelowna has most varieties. My favorite is Einset seedless it's awonderful grape but has problems setting fruit some years. Give your plants some winter protection the first 2 years. Ralph is right that
    Interlaken can be a little tender. If you can find Sooke or Skookum try to get those
    they were developed at the the Summerland research Station. They are really good quality grapes and may do well there for you. S. Coronation is s good selection for you it has good winter hardiness and will probably work there. Try using insecticidal soaps
    on the whiteflies -early morning. Most of the garden centres will have and will give you instructions on it's use. Good gardening. Cheers

9. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

Prairie Grapes - Thank you for your advice. I have, in the past, been to Bylands and really liked that nursery. Many of our trees come from there.
    Thanks again. Jenny

10. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Thanks I lived in the Okanagan for 20 years.

11. WoodlandJennifer

WoodlandJennifer Member

I don't suppose you found an efficient way to keep birds, particularly robins, away from your grapes.
    I have tried the balloon with eyes, holographic tape, a plastic predator and netting, all to no avail.
    Jenny

12. Ralph Walton

For serious growers it's netting, from the ground up and over the whole vineyard or around each row/plant and sealed underneath. Our vineyard is not at the bearing stage yet, but I've seen a flock of starlings strip a 30 foot cherry tree in 2 hours (usually on the morning of the day I have decided to pick).

If you have red tailed hawks in your area (perhaps other hawks as well) you can build raised perches to attract them. This is said to help and also keep any mouse/vole population in check.

Ralph