Gordonia ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by hortiphoto, Aug 25, 2017.

1. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Any ideas on this one? Everything about it says Gordonia, but I can't find one with a pale pink flower like this. It's around 5-6 metres tall and also has seed pods that are very Gordonia-like.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. hortiphoto

Thanks but I don't think it's a camellia. The way the pods opened was far more Gordonia-like.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I've never heard of Gordonia, am not happy to know there's yet another fried egg-looking thing. May we see the seed pods and bark?

6. hortiphoto

I'll see if I can get some shots of the pods today. Often they're too high up and tend to hang on the tree after they've opened. The bark, from memory, is pretty smooth and not patterned like Stewartia.

7. hortiphoto

Finally managed to get back to this tree today. While I wasn't able to get any images of mature, unopened seed capsules, the attached photos show open seed capsules on the tree, a developing capsule shortly after the flower has fallen and an open capsule with the seeds. The seeds are about the same size and shape as Fraxinus, though of course they aren't fraxinus. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I said I'd never heard of Gordonia, but I see now that Franklinia alatamaha has as a synonym Gordonia alatamaha. I haven't caught the fruits at exactly that stage.

Since you think in all other respects it looks like Gordonia, I wonder if it's just an old flower that has started to go pink, as a lot of white flowers do as they senesce. I don't remember the Franklinia flowers at UBCBG going pink but maybe if they hang on long enough, they do.

9. hortiphoto

Sure, it's possible, but not something I've observed in other species. The only I can say for sure is that those seeds show that it's definitely not a camellia. Anyhow, just another mystery. Thanks for trying to help.