Good spot for autumn moon

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LuckyStryke, Jul 29, 2018.

1. LuckyStryke

LuckyStryke New Member

I'm in Alabama. My yard has alot of sun and not very much shade. The best spot I can find are either next to the house where it will get sun till about 3-4 pm but doesn't cover the whole tree till about 430-5. There is a spot that gets dappled afternoon shade but it's still about the same time frame. I have a nice flower bed with nice soil but it's in all day sun. What do y'all recommend?

2. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I would select the site that receives the most overall shade throughout the day. I have two Autumn Moons (both potted) that get a couple of hours of morning sun, and dappled shade for the rest of the day. They are doing fine this year. I had my first one in an area that was mostly sun last year, and it had severe leaf scorch by August. I moved it to a protected spot and it's doing great now. My second (the smaller one) I bought this spring at Home Depot was mismarked as a Viridis and was 50% off.

Attached Files:

LuckyStryke and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hello,
    If by "next to the house" you mean rather close to a wall that gets the sun until most of the day, I would definitely put it in dappled shade: I don't know what this wall is made of, but if it's concrete or bricks, it will keep the heat of the hottest hours of the day, then release the heat even at night. It's as if you, would put it next to a natural radiator.

If the spot in "dappled shade" is far from a wall, that's where I'd put it. My 2 €cents. We've had the hottest, driest month of July in decades here...

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Autumn Moon can take some sun, but you'd better make sure it gets plenty of water down in Alabama, at least for the first few years. It's going to be losing a lot of moisture through the leaves. I agree with the others that the dappled shade spot sounds best.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Moved my S/AM last year into the ground at the top of the garden with plenty of shade, only gets full on sun for around one hour + then it's complete shade for the rest of the day, colouring up nicely now and no leaf scorching which is an added bonus seeing it's a Shirasawanum cultivar.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.