Good Season, eh?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Joey D, May 20, 2009.

1. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey All,

I am having a great growing season so far and was wondering if anyone else is having such a great time with their plants! Nearly everything is starting to flower and new growth can be seen all over my humble patio :)

I started this thread as a place to talk about great seasons, present and past. Any favorite years in the garden? Favorite aspects of your growing this year?

2. CosmicZombie

CosmicZombie Member

My radishes came out quite nicely, my scarlet runners are climbing like there is no tomorrow and my Kohlrabi are looking quite spectaculoar. Yes, it is a good season.

3. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Oh, speaking of climbers...my Morning Glories are filling out very nicely! And I've been starting to get blooms this past week as well. :)

4. CosmicZombie

CosmicZombie Member

Ohh I just remembered, I am letting some of my radishes bear seeds. Do you know the best way to harvest said seeds?
    good job on the morning glories btw.

5. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

I can't say I know much about radishes. Sorry!

Actually another of the UBC members has a great blog that might have info on radishes. I know he has a lot of great step-by-step blogs that are very instructional. There is a very thorough one about chitting vs. non chitting potatoes...

6. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Ah, I found him!

Durgan has a very good blog here: http://durgan.org/Blog/

There may very well be some good info on radishes somewhere there.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I was going to grow some radishes this season too, but just didn't get around to it.

My passion flower vine is thriving Joey D!!! I just put it outside over a week ago. It has become cool here again, so I haven't been able to transplant everything outdoors yet, but that hasn't stopped all my stuff from blooming inside! I am growing morning glory, scarlet runner, and painted lady - all three are getting huge!

Maybe when I get some old negatives developed again I can post some great pics of three of my gardens from a few years back. I had everything - including melons on a trellis!

Thanks for starting this thread. I love to hear about what other gardeners are doing as well.

: )

8. CosmicZombie

CosmicZombie Member

Holy ****! I just looked up what a passion flowers are and they looks amazing! get some pics of them soon.

9. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Ooh, glad to hear hear your Passifloras have moved outdoors :D

I'd love to see what they can do with that kind of footspace over the summer months!

10. JanR

JanR Active Member

It has been a terrible year here. It's just been too cold and wet. I only just planted my potatoes yesterday. I have put out a few tomatoes in a raised bed with protection, but they are not happy looking. The temperatures were down on 2 degrees C. last night, which is just too cold for most everything. If it doesn't get warm soon, this gardening season will be a disaster. I have so much to plant.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

I hear ya JanR - We dropped to -1 the other night with the wind chill! We did have some nice weather real early, but now it's gone away again.

Not to worry, I'll be sure to take pics of my passion flower, later on. I have a second PF vine as well, but it's still inside - wanted to see how the first one did before I put both out.

12. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

That's a smart move :) They are so tricky to germ sometimes, it's better to test the water before jumping fully in and realizing later that the water isn't fine!

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Exactly, Joey D!

These vines are like gold to me, so I wanted to see how things go first. It is really chilly, but the vine is holding on out there! Not growing, just waiting for things to warm up. It will likely take right off for me when the real hot weather hits it. I bet it's building it's root system right now.

Thanks so much Joey D, for sharing your passion flower seeds with me! It's 'caerulea' - one of the nicest. Do you know I even sent 2 seedling vines that I germinated myself, through the mail to two different people in the States, and both were received and are now thriving!!! You have made several people very happy this season, Joey D!!! Thank you.

14. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Oh wow!!! I'm very glad to hear! Based on my luck with them I'd never know they were that hardy. I think I have a couple germinated though. I'm waiting to see if they are going to take off soon. Each is less than a week old so far, so we'll see over the course of the next few weeks how they are doing I think.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Great to hear that you have some germinated! We can both show our pics this summer.

Good luck with yours.

16. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

The season here has been great so far! all my corn and watermelons out side are doing great! inside I have a fantastic set of Peppers and Roma Tomatoes going! OOHH and guess what, my Mother-In-Laws tongue is so happy that it has a flower stalk growing out of it! so far I can say my first season has been very good! :)

17. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey Mr. Greenthumb, I am in the same boat as you! This being my first season as well. I am thrilled as I think we have picked a great year to start gardening :)

18. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

@ joey D. Indeed sir, it sure seems like it! Been very wet around here so far kinda odd for my corner of CO but I am not going to argue with free moisture!

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Joey - I just took this picture today. It's the tagetes lucida marigold seeds you sent - just look at what they produced in my east kitchen window sill! I love them.

They are so different from other marigolds. Thank you...

Attached Files:

20. JanR

JanR Active Member

Those are very unusual marigold plants. I have never seen any like that.

Our weather has finally improved. It feels like it went from winter to spring in about 2 days. We have had highs of 28 degrees most of the week and it looks like it is going to be the same next week. There are still an awful lot of things I haven't planted yet. Hopefully, it will get done this weekend. :)

21. The Hollyberry Lady

I know Jan - I have never seen them before either! Actually, it is just one plant, but it trails. The flowers are so pretty and dainty. I kind of like it.

I can tell when I look closely at the base of the flowers, that they are in fact marigolds. The seeds inside look identical to other marigold seeds. So neat to have this special variety. Thank you again, Joey.

By the way Jan - did you get the strawberry tree seeds yet?...

22. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hey, those look familiar :) Mine look about the same right now, although a bit less flowers at the moment. And Hollyberry Lady, no problem! It was such a great trade for all of those pepper seeds :D As soon as I have some more unique seeds to trade I think I will be getting in contact with you!

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my goodness, I would be honored to do another trade with you, Joey! Have I got some seeds for you! It has been a wonderful last few months, that's for sure - tons of profitable trades! We will surely chat via email, very soon.

Yes, these marigolds are so cute. I love all your seeds, Joey. They stand out from all of my other trades! I've told you before, your seeds are gold.

My passiflora caerulea is thriving. You will never know how thrilled I was when I opened your package and saw those passion flower seeds! I just about fell off the chair! You are so cool to send me them.

Chat soon...

24. JanR

JanR Active Member

Yes, I got the Strawberry tree seeds and was really surprised to see the geranium seeds too. I can't wait to grow them. January can't come soon enough. Maybe I will even start them in December. :)

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Now you're talking, Jan! I love starting plants in Winter - you know me! I thought I would share those geranium seeds with ya because I had a feeling you'd seen my pic of that variety on the forum, and that you would like it. That type is rare, and hard to come by. I can only get them from one place in all of Canada!

So glad you got everything ok, and that you're pleased. The strawberry tree will be a wonderful lawn specimen, I am told - very ornamental.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009