Gloriosa 'Rothschildiana' seed & storing of

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Charles Richard, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

I have some seeds of the Gloriosa Lily and was hoping that someone has knowledge of starting them. Also the correct way to store the seed until planting in seed compost.
    Do they require some sort of stratification or treatment prior to starting.
    What is the best way to store the tuber/bulb of this plant over the winter.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Well Charles,

Ifits not hardy then before the first frost is announced bring it into a frost free place, shed, conservatory etc.

The seed: If its a fine seed then sow on top of a compost, if not too fine then lightly cover with compost.

If your saving seed then an airtight container. Some people like me store in a brown paper bag (small) then in an airtight container.

3. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Thank you Katalina,
    I will store as you have mentioned. I also have read different literature about germination of the Gloriousa. Some differences, such as 30 days at 70-75 degrees and the other 3-6 mths germination? I have found with starting seeds here at home that alot of the time the germination period makes a big difference if the seed is sown fresh. When stored, I wonder if the seed dormancy has to be brocken/affected before it will germinate?
    Any luck with 'Eryngium' seeds?
    Thank you again,

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gloriosa are the most spectacular of the Rudbeckia group of plants, and are very easily grown from seed. Seed germinates in one to three weeks, and if stated inside in early spring will bloom the first year. The best advice I can give you on storing seeds is to store seeds for no longer than one season. Always use as fresh seeds as possible so you will be certain they will be viable. Although all seeds are perishable, they vary greatly in the length of their storage life. Most of them, even those with short shelf life, keep much better if they are sealed in jars or plastic bags and stored in a cool, dry place. Always write the date on each seed packet. Most flower seeds, both annual and perennial, stay viable for several years if they are sealed in a plastic bag in a cool dry location. - Millet (1,229-)

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Plastic bags will make the seeds sweat Millet, use paper bages instead for storing.

Airtight containers are what I use, like the tins that choccis come in.

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Katalina25, I agree with you that tins are a very good method for storing seeds. However, I have stored a large number of different types of seeds for the last 20 years in plastic in my cool garage in Colorado, and have never once seen any seed sweat, in fact I have never even heard of it ever happening. Humid England must be different. Take care. - Millet (1,229-)

8. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh ok Millet but I have a small always warm bungalow with no garage.

I can see where poly bags would work at yours. As soon as I put seed in my seed tray prior to germination then put the seed tray inside a plastic bag then condensation takes place to aid germination.

Thats exactly what would happen if I used poly to store my seeds till next spring. England is'nt humid its just these homes are too warm in summer and hot in winter from central heating.