Garden Moving from Vancouver to Ontario or Martimes

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by juliacmatthews, Nov 10, 2015.

1. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Hello everyone!

I am planning a move from Vancouver, and will be leaving as soon as December or as late as Spring (April?). I will be moving either to Ontario or the Maritimes. I have a large garden with bulbs, perennials, shrubs, etc. I know its likely impossible to take all with me, but wanted to take a few favorites and likely sell/leave the rest. I am wondering when the best time is for transplantation? I am thinking it will be difficult to coordinate since its so much milder here than in Ontario or the Maritimes. I have found some "how to" guides on transporting plants, which have been very helpful...but since I have a bit of flexibility in when I am leaving I was wondering if anyone has some insight on the best time to dig up a garden and then replant. I will likely replant into potting soil to try and curb any reactions to different soils...(but maybe this wont make a difference).

Thank you for your help!

Julia

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Due to the coldness of the new climate you will have to do it in spring. Make sure anything you take is able to grow under the conditions of the new location, a lot of plants prevalent here will not survive back there.

juliacmatthews likes this.
  3. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Wonderful, Thanks Ron!!

4. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

What if I dig up, move to Toronto and plant back into pots which go in a plastic greenhouse?