fuzzy Kiwi tree growth

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sean86114, Jun 5, 2016.

1. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Hi there,
    I am currently having problem growing fuzzy kiwi tree on my backyard(Vancouver).... 3 years ago i decided to plant 3 kiwi plants -2 females(fuzzy,hardy) -1 male(fuzzy) so I did...planted them like 8-10 ft apart from each other. full sun same soil type.
    1st ;year(bought it late April) everything went well... frost came, did some minor pruning, I my tree to look nice, so I pruned all the side branches left with one main branch....
    2nd year; spring time came, buds came out nicely(all 3 plants) but the 2 fuzzy stopped or slowed down drastically the growth. on the other hand, hardy kiwi grow grow and grew!! the 2 fuzzy( male and female) the tip of the shoot just dried off and stop growing (just the tip tho)...I had to do lots of pruning during winter time on the hardy kiwi because of its dramatic growth.
    3rd year (current year); spring came, again buds came out nicely( all 3 plants) again the 2 fuzzy stopped shooting after 6 inches long, tip dried out and stopped growing :( on the other hand my hardy flowered up!!!
    I am so upset that I dug out the male fuzzy and checked... I dint see any new root or I should say there is barely any root!!! what the hell!!!! I went to this chinese gardening store by Westminster hwy and knight and special order a 24'' pot size semi mature male fuzzy kiwi(with flower) and replaced my old male kiwi spot (paid $99) for this bad boy. most expensive tree I have ever bought. hopefully it will do its thing.
    I apologize for my broken English and I will appreciate for any comment.......

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It seems that your female fuzzy kiwi has the same problem that the male had. Fuzzy kiwis, both male and female, should be growing vigorously; mine grow much faster than my hardy kiwis. You should check the roots of the female fuzzy kiwi and replace it if the roots aren't growing.

Pollination of the hardy kiwi with fuzzy kiwi male flowers might be a problem. My male hardy kiwi died a few years ago, and I decided not to replace it because a male fuzzy kiwi is growing nearby. This year both the female hardy kiwi and the male fuzzy kiwi flowered very well, but only a small fraction of the hardy kiwi flowers set fruit.

3. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Thanks Vitog for your input. I will give the female another chance. I bought the male(fuzzy) 3 weeks ago with some flowers and I pollinated the hardy female by hand to every single flower lol. Seems that every flower has produced fruit(I know it because I only have couple hand full of hardy flower)

Attached Files: