Fuzzy Buggers

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by KMalcolm, Aug 1, 2009.

1. KMalcolm

KMalcolm Member

Can anyone tell me what these white fuzzy pests attacking my jade are? And if so, what is the best way to get rid of them? Thanks much! ~Kalem

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

mealy bugs.

treat with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol - apply wet swab to the bugs and they die instantly. use freshly dipped swabs to wipe the stems and the leaves (both sides) and make sure to get the crevises where the leaf meets stem really well. treat again in about 10 days or so. and then again in another 10 days or so...the eggs are very tiny and it's easy to miss them.

any other plants nearby to this one should also be looked at to see if they've also got the bugs.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Agree with joclyn. These PESTS can be, and usually are, persistent, so repeated treatments are necessary. Joclyn also makes an important point: be sure and check other plants, too!

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

ISOLATE that plant immediately! Those little buggers will travel and infest anything near-by.
    I realize the Q-tip an alcohol sounds tedious but it is about the best suggestion. Later you can spray with Alcohol and water, half & half, to make sure they are really gone. barb

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i've never had damage occur to any plant that i've treated with rubbing alcohol...

to avoid possible damage to the plant from sunlight, do the treatment at night time or move the plant to a location that's not in the sun. the alcohol dissipates in a couple of minutes, so, once the leaves are dry, it's safe to put the plant back in it's usual location (i'd wait at least 10 minutes, just to be safe, before putting the plant back in it's usual spot).

doing a water drenching to succulent like a jade is not recommended - too much moisture on teh plant can cause rot and, if there's already an bug infestation going on, then the plant is stressed and would be more susceptible to rot setting in.

if you opt for the spray bottle for the rubbing alcohol/water mix, make sure to not completely drench the plant and also make sure to securely cover the soil with plastic - to catch anything that drips down and to keep it from being absorbed into the soil as that would cause a problem for the roots. once the spraying is done, i'd sop up any excess on the plastic with some paper towels and then remove the plastic covering from the soil.