Identification: Fungus on dead ornamental cherry branch

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by wcutler, Apr 3, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There are only a few of these 'Mikuruma-gaeshi' cherries left on Pendrell Street, and this one has a dead branch with some fungi that looked unusual to me. I didn't find this on any of the other branches or other of the trees on the block. I assume it's opportunistic, not killing the tree but working away on the already dead branch?

Is it possible to name it? It's not close enough for me to touch it or get a different view angle.

Thanks.
    Fungus-on-Mikuruma-gaeshi-cherry_1800blkPendrell_Cutler_20180401_P1320636.JPG Fungus-on-Mikuruma-gaeshi-cherry_1800blkPendrell_Cutler_20180401_P1320637.JPG Fungus-on-Mikuruma-gaeshi-cherry_1800blkPendrell_Cutler_20180401_P1320645.JPG Fungus-on-Mikuruma-gaeshi-cherry_1800blkPendrell_Cutler_20180401_P1320648.JPG

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Wendy,
    It looks like a Stereum, possibly Stereum hirsutum, one of the crust fungi, known to like hardwoods. Other species of Stereum are more commonly listed in tree disease reference material, usually heart rots of conifer, but the lifestyle/impact of this species may be different. I'll post if I can find more information.
    -frog

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thus far I have not found the kind of clear information I was hoping for: Stereum hirsutum is listed as one of a number of fast white rotters rapidly colonizing branches via vulnerable spots in the bark often made by damage caused by other fungi or other organisms. Not sure if this species migrates to undamaged parts of the tree or not: Would love to know the answer to this if someone knows. The recent round of City tree removals were mainly hardwoods, many of them non-native cherries, and almost all the ones I saw had visible Stereum fruiting bodies. Some also had erumpent Nectria-like growths.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for the info, @Frog.

I should pay more attention - I don't think I've seen Nectria before either, or anything that looks like it. We certainly have plenty of eligible ornamental cherries. I'm sure the city hasn't removed all the diseased ones.