Identification: Fungi newbie

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by rootbboy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

I am wondering about these fungi that have popped up in my garden a couple of weeks ago. Basically in a shady woodland area of the garden, but literally covering everywhere. The brown one seems to be popping up in more open areas, and in my pots!! See the size of them growing in a 4" pot. The tinier white mushrooms only appear underneath the Blue Spruce. What kind of mushrooms are they - native or not? Are they bad for the soil? Should I be squishing them out of the pots? Thanks for any and all help.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The brown cup shaped ones are likely Peziza or similar. Not harmful: they break down substances in the soil making them more available to plants and other organisms. Having said that they are also consuming some of what is in the soil, so in the case of the wee pot, they may outcompete your seedling.

The white ones I can's see very well, a shot of the gills (underside of cap) might help. Likely a Marasmiellus or Mycena species, and if so, yes they hold a similar role in your garden ecologies.

Taking mushrooms out of pots does not remove the body of the fungus - it is ramified through the soil/substrate. Roughly, mushroom is to fungus as apple is to appletree.

cheers,
    frog

Sundrop likes this.
  3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

4. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Ok thanks for the help. Not edible I am guessing?

Tried to take some better photos. Here are photos of the brown one when young, and a little older.

No stipe on the white mushroom. The tiny white mushrooms are just a couple millimeters-very tiny! Probably similiar :)

Attached Files: