Fudan-zakura flowering now, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by pmurphy, Nov 11, 2016.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I was one of the lucky ones to acquire a fudan zakura during the UBC tree sale in the spring. The little tree has been doing well, put on some height and has now dropped almost all its it leaves. But I noticed today 2 little blossoms and what look to be more flower buds.
    I've never had an ornamental cherry before so I was wondering, is this normal? Should I be worried that the tree is expending all this energy when we'll soon be going into winter?

Thanks

IMG_3881.JPG

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes and yes, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Actually, thanks for posting this. I've been wondering if this does the very early pre-season appearance of a few flowers in late fall, as 'Autumnalis Rosea', 'Whitcomb' and 'Accolade' do, since we have caught its blooms around the time that those cultivars are blooming. Your photo is the first evidence (that I recall) that it does that here. In our Ornamental Cherries book, Douglas Justice says that the name means "cherry without interruption".

I think that for all of those, if they didn't open those flowers prematurely in the winter, they would add to the show in the spring. That's probably why for this one, as Douglas notes, the main flush of flowering is "somewhat less than exuberant". You really don't have to worry about two flowers though! Or even a bunch of flowers. It's not going to open a lot of flowers now, and if we get the predicted cold weather, it will go back to sleep.

I'm looking forward to seeing spring photos of a nice young tree of this cultivar. I hope you'll post some, either here or in the Neighbourhood Blog for your area if it's not hidden in your back yard. I'm a little surprised how green the sepals are. I'd like to see photos of those in the spring too.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Thanks!
    I was just very shocked to see the flowers, I always though cherries flowered in the spring. I will continue to post photos of its progress and hopefully in the spring it will have even more.

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Not all of them do. The trees along Nanaimo north of Adanac (there are some on Turner St. east of Nanaimo too) are out now. They've been flowering in the winter for as long as I've lived here -- 21 years.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes! Those are 'Autumnalis Rosea'. If you catch the Turner St ones looking colourful, you could post a photo of them as a reply in the Hastings-Sunrise thread. I've posted them twice, but not in bloom - here is one: posting #68 in Hastings-Sunrise.

Keke likes this.