fruitless Asian Plum

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by maureen 57, Aug 21, 2011.

1. maureen 57

maureen 57 Member

I have an Asian Plum(yellow/orange fruit) aprox 10 years old. Until this year it bore plenty of fruit. Nothing this year. It did bloom in spring. I live in eastern Maple Ridge and we saw many wet sunless days. Any ideas why fruitless?
    Thanks, Maureen

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Plums normally require a cross pollinator. Although, the wet spring is the probable culprit...lack of bees and the flowers can end up just dropping off.

As for a pollinator, did a neighbor remove their tree?

I'm actually in Pitt Meadows where the big white barn on the highway used to be. My private blueberry crop is miniscule this year. I blame it on the weather and also all of the spraying they do in the commercial blueberry and cranberry fields north of here. I think it's making the bees sick.

3. maureen 57

maureen 57 Member

Thanks David. No changes in the neighbourhood so I guess we'll go with the atrocious weather even though I have many spring blooming heathers nearby. The bees love these and usually do a great job. In past years we've had to share the crop with friends and family because of the hundreds of plums.

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

My fingers are crossed for next year.