Fruit Trees Not Toxic to Dogs

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by gardenlady, Feb 11, 2014.

1. gardenlady

gardenlady New Member

Hi there, My boyfriend and I just bought a newer home this fall and we are planning on redoing our yard. We are looking at planting some fruit trees. However we have a new puppy who enjoys eating everything in the yard, and I have found that many fruit trees are toxic to dogs.

I can't find anything that says pear trees are toxic to dogs. Does any one know if they are safe if a puppy were to try to eat any part of it? Any other fruit trees that are dog safe? thanks

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I'm not sure that many fruit trees (particularly those that will grow on the island) are especially toxic to dogs. Grapes seem to be bad for about 1/3rd of dogs, and the cyanide in apple seeds could be an issue (if they consumed huge amounts and at the same time chewed through the seed coat...which is unlikely). Sources that list caution with regards to plums, cherries, peaches, etc. are referring to the possibility of choking on the pit, and since this could occur with a bunch of things (rocks, sticks, etc.) it's not one I'd worry too much about.

I've got all kinds of fruit growing (even grapes) and have a dog who (for the first year anyway) explored the world via chewing it. He's eaten all kinds of tree fruit, and to this day likes to pick blueberries off the bush in the summer. So go ahead and plant away, avoid grapes if you're concerned, and all should be well.

Yes, pears are fine: any warning is, as with apples, related to the cyanide in the seeds, not the fruit (and, as per apples, a huge quantity of seeds must not only be eaten, but chewed as well).

3. gardenlady

gardenlady New Member

thanks for your input, I'll keep this in mind : )

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Woodschmoe. Worth remembering that in the wild, wolves and foxes and other dog-relatives eat a lot of fruit, it's a natural and normal part of their diet.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds like the trees may need more protection than the dog! You probably better put guards around the base to keep them from getting chewed.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

So ... I asked the park rangers why the bear scat found near Jedediah Smith redwoods would be sort of orange-red color.

They said it's because nearby homes have apple trees, and there's a few apple trees naturalized along the river outside the park.

Attached Files:

7. goblinonacloud

goblinonacloud New Member

lol Your trees need the protection not the dog. Put up a small 3 feet tall "collar" around the tree until it or they have gone through their first year. Something that your dog cannot pull down. Also here's a tip for you for general nuisances with new trees. I make a spray of water and Hungarian paprika and spray the heck out of everything. Haven't found a critter yet who likes the smell of the paprika and it never hurts any of my trees, bushes or plants.

8. gardenlady

gardenlady New Member

Great tip thanks, it may come in handy : )

9. goblinonacloud

goblinonacloud New Member

Yes, some elderly neighbour back in England when I was a kid used the spray and taught me about natural ways. I still think of her gratefully. I think you'll be happy doing it. Mind you, for squirrels? I dump a handful of paprika around every crocus bulb I plant and surround them with daffies which are poisonous to rodents and those little whatsits STILL manage to get at the crocus bulbs! I believe that they think of them as squirrel popcorn! lol