Frozen Split Leafs

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Steve Williams, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Steve Williams

Steve Williams Member

I have frozen Split Leaf Philodendrons, big ones. Leaves are laying on the ground. Do I cut the frozen limb off? Will the plant come back? Thanks

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forum, Steve.

Two things to do:
    1. Give us photos of your philodendrons, and;
    2. Get ahold of photopro ASAP! Aroid Expert Par Excellence.

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Togata57 is right on both counts.

However, we in the subtropics have to deal with the rare freezes. General advice is to not prune until the last chance of frost is past, and perhaps not until you see new growth.

One difference being for large leaved plants like yours, you might want to consider just how much the wet, dead and decaying tissue is covering up viable plant. You don't want a sodden mess. Trimming away some of it might forestall decay in the good tissue.

Let's hear what photopro has to say, among others.

4. Steve Williams

Steve Williams Member

What is photopro?

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ahh...personally, I think he is a creature of legend and mystery!
    But seriously---he knows ALL in the aroid dept. Put yourself completely in his knowledgeable hands and all will be well.
    I just sent him a message alerting him to your need, so I hope you will hear from him soon.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Legend? Mystery? You need to talk to my wife!

The plant is likely Philodendron bipinnatifidum which many people know by the name Philodendron selloum. The other is Monstera delicosa. Although they are in the same family they are very different species. I am adding photos of each.

If this is Monstera deliciosa saving it is likely to be difficult. If it is Philodendron bipinnatifidum you have a chance, but only a chance. I've received at least a dozen notes like this as a result of my website and haven't been able to give anyone much hope.

The central axis is the stem. The support for the leaves is the petiole.

Cut all the leaves and petioles off directly at the stem. Coat the "wound" with cinnamon which makes a very good anti fungal. There is no way to save the leaves and petioles and it is imperative you put on the cinnamon.

Watch the plant closely to see if the stem begins to die. If it begins to die it will begin to rot. If nothing happens you've got a descent chance. If the stem begins to rot you must cut it.

Start by cutting at least 12 inches beneath the rotting portion. Chances are you'll have to cut even more but take it one step at a time. Be sure and coat the cuts with cinnamon. Watch that carefully and hope for the best. If no more stem dies the chance is it should begin to recover in the spring but you may never see new growth on the old stem. I have seen new growth come back but it often will not produce any more leaves. However, you should eventually see a new stem begin to grow from the root system which is underground.

If it continues to rot cut the stem right at ground level, coat it with cinnamon and protect it with deep mulch. Again hope for the best.

If this is Monstera delicosa you can try the same thing but I can't hold out much hope. Monstera deliciosa is far less resilient.

Please let us know how this turns out!

Attached Files:

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The top expert in the "tree Philodendron" group (Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma) in Miami recommended this morning to be careful not to over water and watch out for bacterial disease.

Keep a close eye on these plants!