Rhododendrons: Fragrant Rhododendrons

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Mistral, May 2, 2007.

1. Mistral

Mistral Member

Hello, I would like to plant some scented Rhodo's near my house, especially close to the doors and pathways where people can see and smell them. I live in Vancouver and am interested in a variety of sizes and colors. Some would be in semi-shade and some in sun. Can anyone reccommend some Rhodo's varieties and where to go to purchase them in the Lower Mainland? Thank you very much.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Loderi 'King George' is a nice fragrant white, large plant and flower. May take 8-9 years to bloom, but worth it and seen available. 'Else Frye' , white may be tender. R. luteum, fragrant yellow flowers. R. concatenens, fragrant foliage , if memory is correct. R. fortunei , R. decorum, R. auriculatum, some of their hybrids , many deciduous azaleas and other fragrant rhododendrons. Could go to www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2902 for "Vancouver Rhododendron Society" website for sale this weekend, recommended . Post by Daniel Mosquin, click "VRS - Indumentum", click May 2007 for info. Off topic , might also consider a Viburnum carlesii and its varieties, or a V. carlesii hybrid.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'King George' and other clones from same cross often budded and blooming in garden center sizes. 'Else Frye' (note spelling) best in pot, sheltered during Arctic fronts unless planting site is California mild - as it could be if property is right on waterfront of sheltered harbor or inlet.

'Distinctive Features Chart For Hybrids' starting on page 216 of GREER'S GUIDEBOOK TO AVAILABLE RHODODENRONS has dozens of kinds ticked as fragrant, with hardiness, exposure, timing and stature of each also indicated on same line.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely check out your most convenient garden centres - excellent selection everywhere just now. Ask or read plant tags, if you don't go with book in hand. Although I recommend book in hand, or a list off the internet. Amsterdam Nurseries in Pitt Meadows has one of the most unique selections I've encountered.

5. chimera

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The tall trusses of huge fragrant trumpets produced by the Loderi clones are about as sensational as it gets (with reasonably hardy rhododendrons), but they are large-growing and prone to spotting of the leaves.

7. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Ron B is quite right, the 'Loderi' group of hybrids are hard to beat for fragrance: too bad scratch 'n sniff computer screens are not available!

Attached Files:

8. chimera

Chris, is the pic on the right 'Loderi Venus' ? Maybe more fragrance noticable in the evening?

9. Chris Klapwijk

10. Chris Klapwijk

To illustrate size, I've attached a picture showing from left to right: R. 'Loderi King George', R. luteum, R. hippophaeoides

Attached Files:

11. chimera

Very nice pic. Find 'King George' and 'Venus' grow and flower very well without any fertilizers, but have seen they can get very large when fertilizer is applied. Take pruning well according to Cox. Nice plants to grow if room allows. R. atlanticum and its hybrid 'Snowbird' , smaller deciduous white flowered , also come to mind when fragrance is mentioned. And then there is "Roses for Noses and Noses for Roses". Bet you're not growing that one Chris, the "Roses for .....".

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  12. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Room does NOT allow Loderi King George but I have one anyway, so I can certify that it takes pruning - not responding with vigorous blooming, mind you, but they sprout nicely in response. But even the foliage is attractive. Even before I pruned it much it only bloomed minimally if it all, as I think it is too dry in summer. But it has a truss of about 5 flowers this year!!!!!

Thanks for the other heads-up, Chimera.

13. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I'd add another fortunii hybrid, Heavenly Scent to the list as it is not as big or fast growing as the Loderis.

Hard to find in Vancouver (got mine in WA).

Of course you can always plant cinnabarinums, but you have to rub their foliage to smell the excellent aromas they put out.

14. Mistral

Mistral Member

Thank you kindly,

I will keep my eyes open for it...

15. chimera

R. concatenens or R. xanthocodon, of the cinnabarinum species, foliage has quite a scent, spicy?, without rubbing. Does seems more noticeable in the evening.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  16. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

R. rigidum flowers also have a very pungent scent that you will either like or hate.