Fouquieria purpusii

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by sweller, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sweller

sweller Member

Common name = jarilla or ocotillo. Fouquieriaceae. Endemic to the Tehuacan Valley, Mexico. Grows along rocky slopes of desert scrub. There are only 4 known populations of this species located along the northeastern border of the states of Puebla and Oaxaca. It is listed as in danger of extinction in the NOM-Mexicana. The trunk can reach 60 cm in diameter and grows up to 7 m tall.
    This photo was taken during my time in the Peace Corps working in the Tehuacan-Cuicatlan Biosphere Reserve in southern Puebla and northern Oaxaca, Mexico. The area where I worked is loaded with terrific endemics, especially cacti and succulents, Bursera, Fabaceae and euphorbs, with a total species count around 3,000 for an area of approximately a half million hectares. I couldn't decide on just one species to submit. I have a rather extensive photo collection and I'd like to bring more attention to this very cool botanical hotspot by submitting several unique species from the Reserve.
    Thanks for taking a look.

Attached Files: