Found growing wild: is this a pot plant? Or...?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Gabriolan, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Michael Pollan wrote a cover article for the New York Times Magazine about this, a few years back. The cover showed a close-up photo of a state-of-the-art marijuana hybrid. You could barely see the leaves for the buds, which were sticky with resin. I did a double-take -- it wasn't what you ordinarily expect to see in the Sunday paper.

2.19.95_nytm.jpg

Within 48 hours, an old friend of mine had found some bargain tickets and flown to Amsterdam.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Excellent link Kaspian thanks again.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

And, yet more...

"Dutch Police Slash Hemp Instead Of Pot"---(AP)September 3, 2009

The Hague, Netherlands:

Dutch police who mowed down what they thought were illicit marijuana plants were red-faced Thursday when it emerged they'd ruined a research group's giant, officially sanctioned field of harmless hemp.

Police proudly announced Wednesday that they'd found more than 47,000 cannabis plants, with an estimated street value of nearly $6.45 million, concealed in a corn field in the Flevoland province east of Amsterdam.

They mowed down half the plants only to be informed that they were the property of Wageningen University and Research Center, a respected agricultural school.

The field contained a new strain of hemp that researchers hope can be a sustainable source of fiber, Simon Vink, a spokesman for the executive board of Wageningen University and Research Center said Thursday.

Hemp plants are related to marijuana but have only trace elements of THC, the mind-altering chemical that cannabis contains.

"The street value from a drug point of view is less than zero," Vink said.

Oops!

5. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

Oops indeed. That's really depressing.

6. togata57

One can but hope that the public humiliation compensated somewhat for the dunderheaded behavior.--- Also, one can hope that the public's awareness of hemp has been raised: perhaps some folks will learn that there IS a difference between spp. of Cannabis, and that there even ARE multiple spp.! Maybe, just maybe, someone will be intrigued enough to learn more, and that would be a good thing.

Gotta feel sorry for whomever's project this was! Ooh, that musta been a piece of bad news and no mistake. "Uh, well, the cops just mowed down half your senior thesis..." Yikes.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. togata57

My bad. Thanks for the clarification, Michael!
    I was laboring under the misapprehension that Cannabis was the genus and sativa, indica, ruderalis were spp. Oh, well. When you get old, the mind just goes. (What there is left of it.)

OK, I will amend:
    "... perhaps some folks will learn that there ARE differences between subsp. of Cannabis, and that there even ARE multiple subspp. and cuiltivar groups!"

I do appreciate an observant editor. Precision and accuracy help one learn.

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

As far as I know, a lot of Cannabis enthusiasts do regard them as separate species, they just don't get any support for their ideas from professional botanists who have examined the plant in its natural (rather than cultivated) context ;-)

10. togata57

Uh...yeah. Natural.

11. Gabriolan

Indeed. I would like to see financial compensation as well. I hope the owner of that legal crop will sue for damages.

12. togata57

Me, too. Will be interesting to see what course of action the University chooses to pursue.

13. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

In many European countries (but not in France), growing cannabis for your own personal enjoyment (whatever that means for you: leaf shape, leaf color, leaf taste, etc.) is perfectly within the bounds of the respective national law. Growing it for commercial purposes is more restricted.

Gomero

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You'd think it would have been apparent the property was part of an experiment station, or that they would have looked up ownership of the land in public records before the raid.

15. togata57

You'd think!

16. Gabriolan

I've been thinking about this, and am inclined to agree with you. Now what I'm wondering is this:

- how long will these plants live? Will they die down in the winter? At what point will they be of no more use to the grower this season?

- when is the grower likely to harvest the buds? How will he know when they're ready? Will he leave the plants standing and just cut off the buds?

-Will the plants re-grow next year on their own, or will they self-seed? Or will the grower have to start all over again?