Forum Updates - Nov. 30, 2009 at 11:30am PST

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello all,

I will be updating the forums software to the latest version on November 30, 2009.

These updates are typically for security patches or to make things work a bit easier -- I think one of the things that will be possible is that you'll be able to dismiss the top-of-the-page forum announcements.

The forums will be down for at least an hour from 9am to 10am PST on that date, but it may take longer.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Note: time change from 9am PST to 11:30am PST, as I have a meeting with a student. This will mean the forums will likely be down from ~11:30am to 12:30pm.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I'm still working on some things, so I may have to shut the forums down temporarily without notice (doubtful). But, by and large, it seems to have been a successful upgrade.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Seems like everything is working (except for one thing I'm checking with another moderator).

One thing you should notice when viewing multiple image attachments on one post is that you can now use next / prev to view the attachments instead of going back and forth to open / close them..

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Was it ever determined that one could block announcements since the software update?
    I think you mentioned you thought that would be possible now.
    Thanks

6. Daniel Mosquin

Ah, I was hoping no one would remember ;-)

I misunderstood what was being discussed, and it is actually _notices_ that can be dismissed, not announcements.

I suppose I can move the forum charter bit to a notice -- after all, it only needs to be displayed whenever there is an update. That'll leave the new topic / new thread announcement and perhaps I'll get that into the charter someday soon.

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Yes Daniel, its been a while and I just noticed the above...neat!

lololol

Good job done Daniel and thanks!