Forum pages slow in loading?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

For the last few weeks the forum pages seem to be taking a long time in loading. During the final process it is connecting to a number of third party sites including Google and Facebook. CPU usage is at 100% while loading the main page.

Also, I just noticed the forum node icon is missing on the main forum page for the following forums: Maples, Gymnosperms, Ornamental Cherries, Magnoliaceae, Cornus, Fagaceae.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You're talking about the icon next to the forum name? Were there ever icons there? The Resources all have them, but I don't remember the forums having them.
    Forums-byGroups.jpg Forums-PacNW.jpg

All the sites I use have been slow to load. The forums haven't seemed unusually slow to me, not enough that I noticed what they were trying to load. The usual advice is to clear browser history, clear cookies (neither of which do I really want to do).

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's possible the ('talk bubble') icons may have been missing all along.

Just tried loading the main page after clearing cache - no difference.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm, could be an old javascript file that is stored locally? Yet cache was cleared. Everything is fast on my end.

The forum node icon for those specific forums should all be a tree. These are used from a web font (it shouldn't be anything special or that you have to download though...)