Fomitopsis pinicola and Ganoderma applanatum

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by sheeplsn, Jul 21, 2015.

1. sheeplsn

sheeplsn New Member

we found some fungus when hiking in Big red cedar trial in north shore, Vancouver last weekend, which grow on the dead cedars. I attached their picture for your reference, which I identify them are Fomitopsis pinicola and Ganoderma applanatum from google images. I want to know if they have any pharmacodynamics function for human. Is it safe to think the water that is used to soak the piece of them ? Do they contain any toxic component ?

Attached Files:

2. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Usually bright colors = bad in nature.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings!

I think your ID's are correct based on the polypore options in this are and the features shown in the photo. Do be cautious however with subsequent ID's as some specimens are not so clear: For example, some of what appear to be F. pinicola can be pale F. cajanderi, and without a look at the pore surface some could turn out to be unusually-smooth-topped Phellinus.

Both G. applanatum and F. pinicola are used in medicinal preparations. There is data from traditional use and limited* data from modern use (*given the restrictions of what sort of testing can be done with limited budgets and within modern testing restrictions, and the limited duration of time of modern interest in these fungi for this purpose). So, you will have to assess the research yourself to determine your own opinion.

They were more likely on Hemlock or DouglasFir rather than Red Cedar - I mention this because the host can change the properties of the fungus and its mushrooms' composition.

I hope that is helpful!
    cheers,
    frog

4. sheeplsn

sheeplsn New Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is very useful.

5. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Who drew the face on it? ;)

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

... oh um don't they grow faces naturally?
    ;-)