Flower Stalk On Orchids

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Jean-Francois Fay, May 6, 2006.

1. Jean-Francois Fay

Jean-Francois Fay Member

Seven years ago I cut the stalk of an orchid after flowering. Since, the orchid has very large and broad leaves but no flower stalk. Is there something I can do ? It is a phaleanopsis orchid. Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe it needs more light or higher temperatures to flower.

3. Jean-Francois Fay

Jean-Francois Fay Member

Thank you Ron B. but I think I should have provided more information. When the flowers wilted, I cut the stalk right down to its base. No new stalk has grown back in its stead. The orchid is on the windowsill and gets sunlight for most of the day. The temperature is a constant 20-23 C. The leaves seem very healthy and they are at least twice the width and thickness of a regular orchid leaf. New leaves continue to grow but no stalk and consequently, no flowers. Any advice on what I could do to provoke and support the growth of a new flowering stalk would be most appreciated. Thank you.

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Hope you have not got P. gigantea!
    Here is a link to a culture sheet on moth orchids.
    http://www.aandporchids.com/Phalaenopsis Culture.html
    It should help. If you still do not get flowers after following this advice I would dump the plant and try another one!
    Cheers.

5. MirandaJ

MirandaJ Member

oh no! I think Ive done the same thing. I have a beautiful phalaenopsis with large apple green flowers - unfortunately not sure which one as it was bought from a florist with out a tag. I cut the spike to 2cm and now it hasnt flowered for 2 years. Ive never seen another in this colour, isnt there anything I can do? I have trouble euthanasing my botanical friends.

6. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

The best advice I can give you is:
    1. Be sure your culture is within the limits of what you can find at that link in my other post.
    2. If your culture is right. I would try varying the temperature range so that it rises and falls some 20 degrees from lows in the night to highs in the day, for example 60 degrees at night and 80+ degrees in the day.
    This might act as a trigger for flower bud initiation but you need to know when the plant sets its flower buds and I do not know but you can try google on phalaenopsis flower bud initiation and see what you find.
    3. I definitely know how you feel about not tossing any plant that does not flower. I have two plants of an orchid (forgot its name) that I stuck outside in the hopes that it will flower under the extremes that it gets here in central California (mid 30s lows in winter to mid 80s+ highs in summer) and after several years outside no flowers yet!!!! I have no clue why no flowers but it is out in the cold if it don't produce! If you wish to use the space for such plants that is your call but in my greenhouse space is pretty limited and out they go!!!!

7. shermanso

shermanso Member

The night temp. should drop to 55-60 F for about 2 weeks to induce flower spike.

That what most people say.

8. Jean-Francois Fay

Jean-Francois Fay Member

Wonderful news. A stalk has grown and several very large blooms have appeared. The leaves, stalk and blooms are all enromous. After more than seven years of no flowering, I was considering giving up on this orchid but now I am enjoying this plant again!

9. MirandaJ

MirandaJ Member

Thats wonderful news. I will keep mine and hopefully it will flower aain after this bitterly cold winter passes.