'Flora of Pacific Northwest' on CD

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wrygrass2, Jan 8, 2006.

1. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

My copy of the book 'Flora of the Pacific Northwest' was getting a bit dog eared so I signed on to the UW Publishing site and found reference to a CD version. I was wondering if anybody has made the purchase and if they found it useful. Seems like it would be a better alternative to turning pages if so.

Harry

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have a copy of it at the garden. I tried it out once, and found it kludgy to use. In theory, floras on CD make a lot of sense, but they are not as fast as being able to flip pages in a book, nor do they allow for those "a-ha!" moments when thinking something might be in a particular genus, but turning a page to find it is indeed in another.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd think if it was setup right the database funcionality provided would add a whole 'nother level. So far, however, the plant CDs I've tried were too crude to be better than a book.

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Hi Daniel, Ron,

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll look for a newer copyright of the old one. Or perhaps try and repair the old one.

Harry

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

When someone figures out how to double the length of a day, I'd give this software a whirl to try and make one: http://www.lucidcentral.org/