flat tops-? citrus in California ?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by jaloring, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jaloring

jaloring Member

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I traveled through California last February and saw rows upon rows of what I think are some sort of a citrus tree, they all had very flat tops, almost as if an upside down helicopter had trimmed them all with its rotating blades! While I'm sure that was not the method used, I am now very curious about how the growers trim these trees and are they a citrus?

Any help researching this would be much appreciated.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This (.pdf) document may provide some answers, in particular the sections on hedging and topping.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Great link Junglekeeper. I would also note that topping and hedging is done because citrus trees are purposely planted too close when young in order to obtain larger crops in the groves earlier years. Then when the tree grown to full size that are topped and hedged to obtain optimum sunlight. - Millet (1,322-)

4. jaloring

jaloring Member

I also found a picture of a contraption that maybe what is actually used to flat top trim the trees. It's a .pdf file but I don't know how to attach it (tho I've tried and it may work) but if you google for U.S. Patent No. 5,291,723, dated Mar. 8, 1994, invented by Robert J. Lindsey, the patent is entitled "Tree Trimming Machine and Method", you'll no doubt find it.

Thanks for the replies to my original post ! Really appreciate it?

Attached Files: