First ones to leaf out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 13, 2017.

1. AlainK

AlainK Active Member Forums Moderator Maple Society

And the winner is...

Acer tegmentosum:

acer-teg_170313a.jpg

Acer buergerianum is well on its way too, and among Acer palmatum, 'Little Princess' ('Mapi-no-Machi-Hime') is on the lead.

PS: We've had a few days of rather warm weather here after some strong winds ans pouring rain : it was 8°C-18°C on Saturday, and only slightly lower on Sunday and today. I heard about the snow in Eastern USA: crazy weather...

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member

Crazy indeed.We now give storms arriving here individual names in alphabetical order(eg. storm 'Henry')...we seem to whizz thru the alphabet at an alarming rate these days.
    Well Koto Hime and Katsura are just about there as expected.Many others are about to open now too including Higasa yama,Mikawa Yatsubusa,Shin deshojo,Pheonix,Herbstfeuer and more.The Mumes have had their first flush and even a peach tree is about to blossom.I thought it was going to be a late one this year but that seems to have changed.....even seen some bees around already.A disappointing discovery this year was the total death of two Amagi Shigures I purchased last year.I'm begining to think this plant is even worse than 'Taylor'..I took every step to protect them this winter and hadn't interfered with them in any way since purchase...that's three that've died on me now,not buying again.
    Ah well at least it feels like spring is truly on it's way..happy gardening y'all :)

Jaybee63 likes this.
  3. AlainK

Most maples here have either leafed out, or are about to. I took some pictures, but some of them are blurred and it looks like we're going to have another shower, so I'll take more photos tomorrow.

Some of last year's seedlings. I didn't have very many seeds, so I didn't label them thinking "Well they won't be like the trues species/cultivar, so we'll see if some germinate"...

(probably from) Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'. I will put them in a bigger pot without disturbing the roots tonight, one of them looks a bit pale:

acershir-a.moon-seed_170324a.jpg acershir-a.moon-seed2_170324a.jpg

Maybe from an 'Atropurpureum':

acerp-seed01_170324a.jpg

The dozen Acer truncatum I have have almost all leafed out, but the photos were too bad too be posted.

An A. p. 'Butterfly' I bought a couple of weeks ago: I suspected it was mislabelled -that's why I bought it- because the bark of the tree was very light green, almost yellow, whereas my two other ones are more in shades of red, but it was probably because it was kept away from direct sun I guess:

acerp_but03_170324a.jpg

4. AlainK

Flowers on:

A. p. palmatum:
    acer-div-palm_170324a.jpg

A. p. Seyriu:
    acerp-seiryu02_170324a.jpg

A.p. 'Crispifolium', or sthg, which I thought was a 'Shishigashira' when I was offered it:
    acerp-shishigashira_170324a.jpg

5. AlainK

'Jerre schwartz' is very early too, it's now in full leaves:

acerp-jerre-schwartz_170326a.jpg

'Katsura' and 'Orange Dream' are well on their way too:

acerpkat02_170326a.jpg acerp_orangedream03_170326a.jpg

Acer discolor is now in full leaf too:

acer-discolor_170326a.jpg

Acer buergerianum is rather early too. These two seedlings are from the same batch of seeds, I suppose the colours are different because of a different soil mix even if the first one was a couple of days earlier to leaf out (I had dozens to repot last year!):

acerb-semis_170326a.jpg acerb-semis_170326b.jpg

I also have a few Acer truncatum from seeds planted last year:

acer-trunc-sem_17326a.jpg

PS: it was 22° (71,6° F!!!) this afternoon, at least it was the thermometer in my car displayed. Maybe it was only 20, but everyone's in a tee-shirt...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017 at 9:53 AM
  6. AlainK

I've just noticed that my 'Arakawa' has flowers on one of its branches:

acerp-arakawa_170326a.jpg

7. emery

emery Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, you're way ahead of us here, even with the warm weather! Your pictures make me want things to hurry up, even tho it's not such a great idea... Still lots of time for frost. There are no palmatums open although many are close, and only a few maples in leaf over all.

Here are a few from today, A. pensylvanicum with A. triflorum, both in flower; A. longipes ssp catalpifolium; and a shot of the freshly mowed (first time!) lawn with A. mandshuricum.

cheers,

-E

Attached Files:

8. AlainK

Very surprising: I don't have A. triflorum but my A. griseum, which I think is very similar, is one that is still almost dormant:

acer-gris01_170326a.jpg

9. emery

Related yes, but always quite a bit later. None of my griseums are close yet either.

10. AlainK

It's been like a nice week in june here: checked the thermometer outside (in the shade), morning: 6°C, affternoon 24° C! OK, it's a protected area, so it may have been 2 or 3 degrees below this afternoon, but look how the trees reacted:

Acer p. 'O sakazuki', 26/03 and 28/03:

acerp-o-sakazuki_sam_170326a.jpg acerp-o-sakazuki_sam_170328a.jpg

Lots of flowers!

Others apparently have many flowers:

'Orange Dream':

acerp_orangedream03_170328a.jpg

'Arakawa'

acerp-arakawa_170328a.jpg

'Koto-no-Ito':

acerp-kotonoito_170328a.jpg

Hey! What are those black spots??? Oh no! APHIDS!!!

11. emery

Ugh. I spent about an hour in two sessions, picking aphids off of an A. oliverianum ssp formosanum. With a toothpick! Then I noticed the buds on a sycamore next to it had lots of little black dots, about 8-10 per bud. I wiped off the low ones, but it's a big tree...

I hate aphids. It seems like it's going to be a bad year for them. I wonder if it will be a good year for flowers though. No Japanese Maples out to look at yet, tho a graft of 'Hana matoi' has started. Actually I do have AJ 'Blushing Beauty' in full leaf, but it looks pretty ordinary for now, really a tiny graft.

Had to come into town to deal with some stuff, hate leaving the garden when the weather is like this. Not that we had 24! But maybe 17, still very warm. I got almost all of the pots out of the stable and watered, but still a table's worth of seedlings in there, hopefully will be OK until this WE.