First of many multiple IDs needed in MA yard

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by breegold, Jun 27, 2013.

1. breegold

breegold New Member

background: Purchased a home from an elderly man whose deceased wife was clearly a gardener, but who let the yard get badly overgrown after she passed. I've spent weeks clearing japanese knotweed, wisteria and poison ivy. Now I need to differentiate between what else should go and what should stay, and I have NO plant experience whatsoever, so some of these may be super easy for you experts. But I spent all yesterday trying to ID some and came up with about 5, not all of which was I sure on, and there are dozens. Here are the first few, and thanks to all in advance!

1.) Growing through the fence between my driveway and the neighbor's yard. Keep or kill?

2.) a flower bed above one of the old septic tank covers. Any IDs helpful! We like the purple flower on the left, but don't know what it is. The tall thing in the center: keep or kill? The carpet underneath it (close-up of that in #3): keep or kill? Anything else you spot: keep or kill?

Common names are fine

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

#1 is an elm sapling. Probably best deleted, unless you want a large tree there.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

#2 The purple flower on the bottom-left - may be Geranium?

4. pathe

pathe Active Member

#2 looks like Conyza canadensis, Horseweed. Can't make a positivel ID from from the picture, but if it is Horseweed, it will have a hairy stem and leaves. Horseweed leaves also have no petioles. To me, #3 looks like Pilea pumila, Clearweed, which is commonly found near water in damp, forested environments. If both identifications are correct, both can be considered as undesirable weeds.

5. breegold

breegold New Member

Ok, so kill 3, one because it's just in the wrong place, the other two because they're legitimate weeds, and the pretty ones are geraniums. Now I'll post the other 2 pictures I took yesterday after work and take more tonight! Thanks everyone!