Fig tree cuttings

Discussion in 'The Test Bed' started by alfanzina63, Sep 15, 2011.

1. This subject has been posted before I notice, but I just wanted to add a slightly different scenario. I am in London, living in a flat(apartment), ground floor, living room has large patio window facing west. There is a very small 'balcony' for plants outside. It gets a lot of sun and heat during summer and the full force of any storms. On the east side of the building (streetside) we had an old fig tree; I was very fond of it as I had had six fig trees in my garden in Portugal years ago. Unfortunately due to subsidence problems with the building the fig had to be cut down to minimise water take-up from the foundation soil. The stump is still there and small shoots with leaves are appearing round the sides. I would very much like to take a shoot or stem and plant it in a large pot in or outside my flat. I know from experience that fig trees are very prolific and will root from a branch touching the ground sometimes. It is already September; is it too late to grab a few of these shoots and follow previous advice on this forum? I need to to do something soon as a neighbour in the building dislikes fig trees (!) and keeps pulling out the shoots....