Fertilizer Suggestions for Trees in Containers

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Kevinm, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Good day everyone!

We have seveal trees in containers on our backdeck in East Vancouver. I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion for a really good fertilizer (including where to buy it), perferably time-released.

The trees are planted in cedar boxes (modified to be very well drained) in Sunshine mix #4 planting mix. The trees are:

-two Portuguese Laurels
    -a strawberrry arbutus
    -a rhodo
    -a tasmanian tree fern
    -and a windmill palm.

We generally plant annuals around the trees in the summer, if that matters.

Thanks so much!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

use a time release fertilizer that has a complete nutrient profile such as 14-14-14 with trace minerals, it is formulated in different timed release durations and is usable for a wide variety of plants.

3. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Thanks so much Paul. I appreciate your help!

Enjoy the sunshine,

Kevin

4. barbgup

barbgup Member

Home fertilizers

If you want to save money and obtain better results:
    - use the water from rinsing your milk bottles
    - use any kitchen scraps as mulches
    - the list can go on forever and it helps the environment

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

re: any kitchen scraps... do not use cooked foods or any meat product as it may attract rodents.

If you wish to use organic methods try using compost, well rotted manure or washed kelp as a top dressing to your planters.

as for obtaining better results, I would say this is a dangerous statement to make, not dangerous like stepping in front of a speeding bus, more like dangerous as in saying that Chevy is better than Ford. (ATTN: All Chevy fans, please take this last statement with the mild humour that was intended, Chevy makes a fine product, maybe even two) :)

6. After using too much time released fertilizer and seriously compromising several potted rhodos, azaleas, and a tree to two (I thought Ironite was just an iron release compound, while it is fertilizer..putting both on was a bad idea) I have resolved to return to worm poop. I used it for years with a liquid iron additive, and the plants were terrific. The plastic worm box is out on the deck with the plants or under the sink in the garage.