Feedback on new Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You don't see the link in post 115? This is starting to freak me out a little that basic things aren't working for you. And yes, the screenshot in 125 is the relevant forum. Ok, so the issue is on my end and not a problem with the add-on.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm sorry. I don't think I saw that posting at all, must have been typing when it came in and I only saw my post. I wondered why you didn't have a link. Yes, I see it.
    I have alerts for everything, emails for everything, still haven't figured out how to not miss stuff, since it doesn't seem that I should have to click everything.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ok, Wendy, check Edge now regarding the favicon.

4. wcutler

Sorry, not showing, and I did close the ubc site, then deleted cache. Then clicked the link in your note.
    upload_2015-11-19_15-10-46.png

5. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I don't know then. It updated for me right away in Firefox. Only thing I can try is to use the UBC one, I guess.

6. Daniel Mosquin

And now with the UBC one? (and I didn't have to clear cache)

7. wcutler

Seems to be not a rare problem. I see one forum thread regarding MSIE
    The first one that came up on my Edge browser favicon problem doesn't have a solution yet. I only looked at two.
    Did you just put in the UBC icon? I see that when I just tried MSIE. Will check Edge in a minute.

8. wcutler

No, not in Edge. I had to clear cache in Firefox to see the UBC one. I like the garden one better, glad using the UBC one doesn't fix it. If it's not going to work in Edge, may as well be that nice one for the other browsers.

9. wcutler

10. wcutler

And now that I'm reading the link I just posted, I'll mention that the default icon is shown on my Android device too, so that's two platforms.

11. Daniel Mosquin

12. Daniel Mosquin

I don't need to play around with the icon -- since we are using an icon that works elsewhere, the icon file isn't the problem -- so it is now likely server configuration.

13. wcutler

That's probably not true on the Android. I was mistaking the home button for the icon. I don't think I have icons, don't know where they would be

14. Daniel Mosquin

So still no go on Edge?

15. wcutler

16. Daniel Mosquin

Maybe you need to do some of the hard-refresh techniques explained here:
    Favicon?

17. wcutler

Well, I closed the site, refreshed the browser, downloaded

http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/favicon.ico five times. It's the correct file that is downloading, but you know that, as it works in the other browsers.
    I found one instance of a ubc webpage I'd saved that had that file in it, so I have hard deleted the folder (shift delete). Downloaded the icon a few more times after clearing cache. I guess it's just me. I'll check it at the Microsoft store in Hawaii.

18. wcutler

Thinking about this a bit, it's not that it's showing the wrong icon. Doesn't it do that default thing when it doesn't find any icon? Or it picks that up and stores it with the saved stuff for pages in cache? I don't find a favicon icon now in anything that says ubc. On that thread, no-one mentioned Edge. It works in all the browsers they mentioned.

19. wcutler

You're right, it's my computer. The icon shows up at the Microsoft Store. I guess there is a No Icon setting that has to be removed, and it's more than a matter of removing a file.

20. wcutler

Just for the record, I went to the Apple store too, but I don't see that there are icons on the folders at all, for any sites.

21. wcutler

Sigh. I've just installed Win 10 and Edge on my laptop. The favicon shows up fine. I have gone through the steps to supposedly uninstall Edge on my desktop and reinstall it, which was supposed to reset it to the defaults, but I think just made it disappear and then reappear. I see in the Favicon? Xenforo thread to which I can't reply:
    I don't understand what this means. In Edge, which is the browser that I want to find this thing, when I type http://forums.botancalgarden.ca/favicon.ico into the url line, it downloads the image (to my downloads folder). There is no refreshing the path to the image where it will be accessed by the page.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  22. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Changing the subject a bit, I just noticed that in the "Write your reply..." box, the buttons in the lower right hand corner no longer have visible labels. Fortunately, I guessed correctly that the leftmost button is the one to click to post the reply. Is this only a problem with Chrome running on Windows XP, or have others had similar problems ?

23. Daniel Mosquin

You may have inadvertently blocked them somehow.

24. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, vitog---Chrome is about to discontinue support for XP and Vista.
    Chrome can still be used but will receive no updates, security or otherwise.
    We (I have Vista) can either upgrade to Windows 7 or use another browser.
    Or get a new computer.

25. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The problem went away today; I'm well aware of the need to upgrade my software.