Feature Request: Better tag support.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by sgbotsford, Nov 29, 2016.

1. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

Don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to "Watch" a tag?

Also Stack Exchange has a feature that you have to have a certain reputation before you can create new tags, plus if you start typing, you see a set of matching tags. This reduces 'tag dispersion'

Some tags may be universal, some restricted to certain groups, or classes of groups.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know the answer to whether that is possible, but the effectiveness of that would depend on people creating the tags to begin with, something that is seldom done. Maybe it would fly to ask moderators always create tags for new postings. It's not something I think of or bother to do because there hasn't seemed to be a reason, since you can search on any term. I do sometimes create tags when it occurs to me that the subject of the posting is not mentioned in the posting, for instance someone posts a photo with just the text "what is this" and the reply is just a link to a website that has the name. If you want a particular tag on someone else's posting, I don't mind if you ask me to add it (or is that something any member can do?).

You can follow a member who you think is likely to post stuff that interests you.

3. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

If I were Evil Emperor, I'd require at least one tag. Sometimes packages will suggest tags.

The usefulness of tags is twofold:

1. Controlled vocabulary: It takes something extra to create a new tag. Moderators can merge or alias tags. E.g. seed swap = seedswap = seed-swap = seed_swap
    2. It makes it easy to follow topics that span multiple forums. E.g. A plant collector may want to follow the tag 'plant swap' without having to search for it each time.

You are correct that if people don't use tags, then it's pointless.

A good tagging system helps to reduce the tendency of forums to fracture into a million sub-forums.