Favourite Plants in Your Garden

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 12, 2003.

1. grass farmer

grass farmer Member

Re: Favorite plants growing on SW ON Farm

Chooch,

You write that you have had success with Gingko in Dresden. I'm in Thamesville, but all the Gingko seedlings I scavenged from the Cultural Center in Chatham and plnated in my garden died. What's the secret?

G.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wow, what a tough question...

Currently, probably the Canary Island Date Palm; from my old garden in the south, it was a close tie between the Xyllobium species orchid, the Monstera deliciosa that had taken over an entire acacia tree (and of which I sadly do not have a picture), and the Shell Ginger (Alpina zerumbet.)

Of course, among the edibles, I fell right in love with the Selenocerus megalanthus (Pitahaya) when it bloomed, and the Granadilla (Passiflora ligularis) vine was a constant source of amusement. And the bananas.

Attached Files:

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

WOW,

Some really nice specimen here. My favorite has to be the little workaholic yellow Viola. I bought six plants in november - december they flowered for just a short time. They then go into hibernation sort of because just before spring they come back aand flower profusly. I have just yeterday put them in the bin.

£3.95..what a bargain!

My other favorite plants are not plants at all but Acer Trees.
    Thanks for sharing!

Attached Files:

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Weekend Gardner,

I want the rose 'Brother Cadfiel' have you seen that one? The flowers are just huge. I tried to order the standard last year but was told they sold out but I could order for next year..popular or what lol

Attached Files:

5. lorax

trees are plants too....

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Lorax,

I guess so but we seperate the two by plant and tree...just our way if we're asking anything specific for the garden.

Most garden centres have a plant section and tree section...at least here.

7. lorax

Down here, one just generally goes to the forest and asks the caretaker nicely; our few garden centers refer to everything as "plants" and when I buy trees at the farmer's market, they are referred as either trees or plants depending on how old they are. What I tend to buy at market are fruit trees, which are simply called by the name of the fruit.

Do you not have trees in your garden? How sad if this is so.

8. mkk

mkk Active Member

I love my herbs. The English lavender when mixed in with my 2 thymes (thymus serpyllum and thymus x citrodoris) mixed with my Rosemary with it's little blue flowers is a scent I love. So I have lavender and pink and blue flowers until it gets too hot for the blue. I think my favorite flower is my gardenia with the waxy feel and great scent.

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Lorax,

I have Acer trees, one is four years old but they don't grow so big as I am sure you must know, the other tree is an Acer Suminggashi standard. I went to find you one to show but lol I ended up here:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10974

Mine is poorly though, I have asked about it here but no replies as yet. I have just planted a Rowan tree.

That must be awesome Lorax.

MKK,

Lavender has the most beautiful smell and one of my favorite oils.

10. sweetpea66

sweetpea66 Member

you said it best! :)

11. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie: 2 days registered on this site; 5 years gardening outdoors - finally figuring out WHAT to grow on my mostly shady property - (look for me next in garden design :-) !

My Favourite plant - I have a couple:

I have an Oxalis which was given to me in 1975. Sorry I don't know which variety & I don't have a picture. It has triangular leaves that are pale purple underneath and white star shaped flowers. I have split the tubers many times & shared with many friends.

I have 2 hoya plants (see pics below) I have had them both since about 1980. The 'rope' variety bloomed once in 1994, but the other one had never bloomed in 26years. They have both been in my very sunny dining room since may 2003, in a south facing window. Then 2 years ago WOW!!!!! all of a sudden they have been blooming maniacs. There are currently 6 flower clusters forming on one and 2 on the other. I forget to water them, esp. in the winter, leave them potbound and don't feed them. So far that seems to be working very well!

Attached Files:

12. sweetpea66

sweetpea66 Member

My mom grows her hoya in her bathroom that does not get alot of direct sunlight. Neither she or myself are sure it that is the reason it blooms every year.

13. lorax

They like high humidity and indirect light... Bathrooms are ideal for them as far as I'm concerned!

14. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Well my garden is a mess as i just don't have the time to get out there-young children take up all your time! But at the moment my fave is my young Silver Birch at the bottom of the garden which is an ex bonsai that i decided to let it be a tree. Its shot up this year and is now as tall as me.

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Nice is Silver Birch,

Well done by passing Bonsai Larry...hahaaha

I never thought of Bonsai growing as big tree..hmmm..idea is forming.

16. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Welcome C8luvs2gardn,

You are the wrong owner, tell you a little tale.

My father died in 1990 and I brought all his trees one by one to my home, I dragged them lol I was'nt letting our local council have none. A Hebe was one and I had it for some years after dad died but never once did that dang tree/shrub bloom and I was thinking it was an all green Hebe.

I decided to let my neighbour have it as I like dainty and this Hebe was beginning to out grow the pot I had it in. That Hebie flowered beautiful white spears the following year in *his garden not mine.

Another example,

I gave my sister a Peony some five years ago. There were three in the pack and I kept two giving her one. Even today and I just bought three more have I ever had a bloom off a Peony. My sisters are massive tight balls of pink beauties. I will give her the other three and bet your last pence they will flower for her.

I am a good gardner and have the proverbial green fingers and can charm any plant into flower..except peony..go figure!

17. GreenLarry

Katalina,maybe you need to swap houses with your neighbour or sister ;) BTW its great that you rescued all those plants from the council. I hate the council gardeners and I used to be one!

18. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

You know Larry
    Its true what they say plants tell *you where they want to be...little dictators so they are.

Peonies are very picky. Too deep and they don't flower, not so deep they still don't flower. Three years ago I dug one up..blimey Larry I gave the thing three years (they say a Peony will only flower in the North anyway in its third year) so as it did'nt do the business it had to go.

it went..or so I thought after I took the spade to it and killed it.

..But it did'nt die, it comes back budless every year just to annoy me lolol.

One year it grew what looks like a bud but then remains the size of a pin head...argeeeeeeeeee..

Larry, if you know anyone with blooming Peony ask them for instructions...thanks

Sorry I have to remove the Peony due to copyright.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  19. GreenLarry

Well i have a Peony that comes up every year. Its the boring double red one that every garden has. I really don't like it as a plant. The flowers are great but the plant annoys me. Had the same plant in my mom's garden down south. I move 200 up north and lo and behold there's one in this garden! There was one out in the front garden,i had to chop it with the spade several times to kill it. Tough buggers! There's a nice pink one with yellow centre i wouldn't mind but everyone round here has this dark red beast.

20. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hahahahahaaha

Um..not every garden has a red Peony..cough..lolol

I do so not like the red ones either, or red Rhodedendrens. I like a white like the one I inserted in my post, or white with a hint of pink like a raspberry ripple effect.

I know some say here trees are plants but here a Peony tree may be what I need my sister says. Where before I have had Peony plants.

A yellow sounds awesome...groan..but pink and yellow not sure how that would look. I found some beauties though

Images have to be removed sorry! ( Not Wikipeadia)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  21. GreenLarry

Think raspberry ripple ice cream. Trust me it looks fabulous! Ah tree peony sounds ideal doesn't it but I hear they're not that tough and are short lived. Like to try one tho.

22. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

23. GreenLarry

Oh very nice michael!

24. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

My favourite in my now very jungle like half acre are my Hydrangea. They bloom at our Christmas time and because the soil is acidic they are very strong coloured. Mine grow along the bottom drive around and between 3 really old low growing apple trees. Because I have been slack about pruning one or two have some very long stems supported up in the trees. They are the ones I refer to as hen and chickens or I think it is lace cap. My flower heads are not profuse but are very large on most of the varieties. There is one that is a beautiful shade of deep blue to purple small compact heads that turn green and moroon in autumn. These plants have been growing there for about 25 years. I dragged many of them with e from suburbia because They would have been killed off when the old house was demolished so they are probably far older than that. When they start to turn I hang several bunches for winter dry flowers. One variety goes a powder blue after about 12 months and is very pretty.

Liz

25. GreenLarry

I've always wanted a Hydrangea but never had one.