Fast Growing Tree?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Paulina, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    Hi Everyone,

We've been invaded by suburb development here. When we bought the house, there was an open field behind us. We now have neighbours right in our back yard! We're wanting to plant a fast-growing tree.

It would have to be a tree safe for kids because I run a daycare centre here. So nothing that grows poisonous berries (is there even such a tree?)

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas on what will grow fast. It's full sun all summer long, we get less wind in our back yard than the front. (It's almost always windy here in the valley!)

The tree will need to grow tall fast, and the taller, the better. We have a 2-storey house, both storeys are above ground, so the upper window is quite high.

Thanx... I think that about covers it all!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

think London Plane for big and fast. Find a well formed tree when you purchase it and maintain its structure as it grows.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plantanus x hispanica (P. x acerifolia) is a brontosaurean tree that emits allergenic hairs when leafing out. See Trees for Garden and Patio portion of Guide to Plant Selection section near front of Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK for other candidates.

4. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

I don't have a single book in my house, even on gardening... Not much of a bookworm.
    Magazines on the other hand...

Anyone have any ideas on a non-allergenic, non-poisonous, fast-growing, tall tree??

5. jimmyq

while I admit to finding irritation when pruning london planes (the fibres and the fluffy stuff from the leaves bug my throat), I grew up with a huge one in the front yard of our house and seemed to survive ok. The tree is now about 25 years old, perhaps 50 or 60 feet tall and about 40 to 50 feet wide. planted as a 6 to 8 foot sapling. Fun to climb in now, thats for sure.

Attached Files:

6. jimmyq

Paulina, those are other names for London Plane, its more accurate to use botanical nomenclature in the long run.

7. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Thanx Jimmy, some of my daycare kiddies have asthma, and so do I, so I'm guessing this might not be a good one for my back yard. Beautiful tree though!
    A while ago I bought some seeds from Ebay, but they never germinated... even though I followed detailed instructions. I don't remember the name of the tree, but it was advertised on ebay as the 'world's fastest growing tree'.
    I know it'll take a few years for a tree to reach it's full height, but is there any tree that grows as big and fast as the London Plane?

8. Ron B

There's actually a 'London' cultivar that is distinct from other hybrid planes, but calling them all London plane has become a general practice.

9. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Ahh, just found it, the Empress Tree...

10. Ron B

Just about the messiest tree you could plant. The hard, pointy ended seed capsules would probably be particularly bothersome in a play area. Even a tree that fast would take years to develop. Then there is the problem of being able to see right through it for half the year. If you're in a mild enough area maybe Eucalyptus gunnii would be the ticket. This all over some Seattle neighborhoods at the moment. You can plant a liner in spring and have a pretty good specimen by the first autumn.

11. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Right, about the fact of seeing right thru it for half the year... hmmm... I guess that adds to my list of fast growing, big, tall, non-poisonous, non-messy, non-allergenic, and evergreen! Wow, I'm not picky...
    Is the Eucalyptus evergreen? That would definitely be an awesome tree to have here. My little sugar gliders would be very happy. They love Eucalyptus leaves! It's pretty mild here, we've had no frost 'yet' this winter. But generally, it's pretty warm here, just endless rain like the rest of the coastal areas...

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas-fir)
    Abies grandis (Grand Fir)
    Thuja plicata (Western Redcedar)
    Pinus radiata (Monterey Pine)
    Sequoia sempervirens (Coast Redwood)

All evergreen, fast-growing (1.5 metres per year, maybe 2), and with decent dense foliage that will screen the neighbours much better. First three are local BC natives, the other two from Calif. All non-toxic, too, and tidy.

Eucalyptus is a touch faster, but very open-crowned and won't screen well.

13. Ron B

Open crown of gum much less oppressive than (mostly) towering, shadowy* conifers you have suggested. Also more novel. Many people find litter of conifers far from tidy. Scattered droppings (bark fragments, dead leaves, seed capsules) of gum possibly not as bothersome as thatchy carpet of litter produced by conifers. If complete screening required then gum probably too open. However, of conifers suggested really only Thuja will be fairly certain to be significantly more dense--although I suppose the pine might be best of all at quickly making a tall, broad wall of green. The problem is a general tendency for fast growing specimens of either type to be open in structure, with density being associated with slower growth. Conical young conifers have the additional drawback as screening subjects of bushy growth normally being concentrated in lower portion of crown for many years, with the upper part being quite open and narrow. Broadleaf evergreen trees (like gums) tend to have foliage more evenly dispersed.

*Conifers are light absorbing in appearance, broadleaf evergreens light reflective resulting in a more cheerful effect

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  14. Franny

Franny Member

Robinia pseudoacacia "Frisia" would be beautiful if you don't mind deciduous. They do grow fast, and add bright cheery yellow to the picture. Pity they have a few thorns, but not usually on the trunk, I don't think. Also you could try Photinia fraseri for privacy. If you plant a standard, you get the benefit of still having run around room for the kids, underneath that is. Or maybe you could do several standards. Oh, yes they are messy with seasonal leaf drop but easily raked. Also they flower beautifully and lovely colour to the leaves.

15. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any of the hardy Eucalyptus trees would likely fit the bill, and being evergreen, give you year round privacy. Keep in mind drainage is key and not recommended for heavy wet clay type soils.

16. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

A row of lombardy poplars, perhaps? Planted together a la shelterbelt rows you'll notice on valley farmsteads, provide a decent winter screen: they can sucker a lot, and the roots like to travel, but I've seen them used on tiny lots to good effect, with a minimal interference with nearby plantings. I second/third eucaplyptus, though if you're in the valley winter temps and wind can occasionally drop you down into the -20's, which can be deadly early on. What about a row of bamboo, properly contained? Numerous phyllostachys would fit the bill, both height and climate wise.

17. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Okay, I went to a garden centre yesterday, and couldn't find a Eucalyptus Gunnii, so I bought a Eucalyptus Niphophylla. (any difference?) The lady told me I'd have to cover it in the winter until it's bigger...
    My reason for choosing this tree is because I breed lovebirds and have 5 sugar gliders as pets (if you don't know what they are, here's a link to find out: http://www.angelfire.com/tx/facehugger/info.html )
    Both sugar gliders and lovebirds love to chew on the Eucalyptus leaves and branches, so when the tree gets bigger, we'll have more than just shade to benefit from. Any tips on extra care and how to make it grow fast?? I realize it'll take a few years for it to get big, but in the meantime, I want to make sure it gets the right treatment so it can grow to be a big healthy tree... Thanx for all the advice everyone!

18. Ron B

A critical difference for your purposes is that Eucalyptus gunnii grows like a rocket, while E. pauciflora niphophila is quite slow.

The fallen thorns from Robinia pseudoacacia could be quite nasty in a play area.

19. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Thorns?? I just did a search on the net on that, couldn't find any pics on that...

Slower growing? Darn it... Well, will have to find another spot for it... that won't be a problem, but will keep looking in the garden centres for the Eucalyptus gunni... (unless of course if someone has one they'd like to trade something for??) just a thought...

20. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was just by this Eucalyptus gunnii yesterday and took a couple of pics. It stands about 30' tall. Cheers.

Attached Files:

21. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Beautiful! Wish I could move that to my back yard!

22. Ron B

The twigs of black locust have hard thorns. The ground underneath becomes littered with them.

It's too early in the year for garden centers to be well stocked.

23. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Yes garden centres are only just starting to stock up now but Gardenworks always has some, or you could try tropic.ca

24. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

How about a Paulownia tomentosa? Leaves are light green , heart shaped up to 29cm., rapid growth...3.5 m. per year, and gorgeous clusters of pink flowers up to 20 cm. and they bloom early in spring before the leaflets form! Or try a Catalpa...I do not know of allergies or toxins in these trees, best check with Nursary... both trees will block out summer sun , so forget flower beds in the long run...

25. corky163

corky163 Member

Is the black locust the same as purple robe locust? I haven't read anything mentioning thorns for this variety. But I don't know if they are same with just a name change or different tree.