fast-growing privacy screen

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by gardenher, Apr 27, 2009.

1. gardenher

gardenher Member

We have about 70' across the back edge of our lot, outlook is a very unsightly neighbouring lot. We have buddleia which are pretty and prolific in the summer - but in the winter the hideous sight across the road is back in full view. Also even though the buddleia grow quite tall - we're searching out something that will provide a year-round screen, 20' - 30' tall.

I've been looking into bamboos - don't want the running kind and the clumping varieties aren't hardy enough to get through another winter like we just had (just outside of Vancouver on the Sunshine Coast). Nelly Stevens Holly? Leylandii cypress? I've heard good & bad for each, although they both grow quickly and to the height we want.

All suggestions welcome. This is currently a 'dead' area of what is otherwise a lovely setting. I should add whatever we plant will be growing up against our 10' deer fence!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The most hardy bamboos in western gardens are clumping kinds belonging to the genus Fargesia. Local outlets have them. No running bamboo in western cultivation is as hardy as the hardiest Fargesia sp. These grow natively in high mountains in the Sino-Himalayan region where typical associates are conifers and rhododendrons. The altitudes at which some of these occur are higher than the tops of most of our local mountains, other than our high volcanic peaks.

3. gardenher

gardenher Member

THANK YOU for such a quick and informative reply. In my search for local suppliers, I came across Canada's Bamboo World (Chilliwack) and then came across Musa Basjoo (hardy banana) - while this is not year-round, the height is in the top third which would do well with the existing shrubs that are there.

Bananas, in the Pacific Northwest? The foliage is certainly beautiful.