Beeches: Fagus sylvatica 'Nicole'

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Scion Swapper, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

The photographs below are of a rare variegated variety of Fagus sylvatica called 'Nicole'. It was founded and named by the late nurseryman George Okken and it was originally called 'Nicole Okken', but the name was shortened to just 'Nicole'. The tree has a really nice yellowish/white marbling on typical sized green leaves.

Brian

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Stability?

3. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Ron B,

Good Question, not sure. I only have 3 or so trees about the size of the ones in the photograph, so I've only been able to evaluate for a very short period of time.

Brian

4. kannutipper

kannutipper Member

HI ALL: That's an good question eh!, Really gorgeous. I'm trying to locate, Beech-susceptibliity to fungus [leaf effects], in damp, erant temporary conditions, like we have presently spring/summer 08', mid-location Canada. Searching here! + k

5. DeZwaan Nurseries

DeZwaan Nurseries Member

Were in Canada?
    Beach is generally Ok on the west coast and Ontario. Main problems are wooly aphids and bronzing in late summer (tricolor)

6. kannutipper

kannutipper Member

HI Nicole: I'm in N. TO., ON, zone 5 I think, Beech is grown here abundantly. My late summer problem the only one of an trune group, appears it might have been planted an 2 yrs. now [me] slightly lower than theother's, or I inadvertently built in haste, the surround an 3-6 inches higher. I abundant water tooo much, as an great deal of overbuild nearby, all for provision of 'privacy', an an fairly new west neighbour double the size of her bungalow, hence less privacy valued-appeal.
    It seem's to me no bug's, rather an fungus affect on the leaves. It never did as well, I sprayed it with an fungicide-liberally, and put iron sulphate at the base, so both the lime green leaf color disappeared, and some new leaves are still sprouting good size, but growth end's now, our all Thanksgiving. An few aborists in, an good one suggest next spring I transplant this weaker one to the 'back 40', of an large plot here, 60x200, in city, an real dream-garden. But I doubt I have room for it anywhere but this spot, it did cost me $160., so loathe to move it. I'm letting all three, grow to some magnificance-height, bought in bit panic, for appear's overbought, over planted the fairly narrow long, lateral, 12 ft. strip. I rarely, loose an thing, in the garden...otherwise I'd say, c'est la vie, or view.
    Will hold-on, did clear away ornamental grasses from the base, stripped an earth-bit, and it's more than hanging on, the arborist-didn't think it would make it, but came back, and injected=underground, all the dozens of tree's, many mature, with with thir company 'fertilizer', for $300. or so, an good value, later 12 month food, nutrient-release, so Ill have happy annual good growth root's. That's an first, didn't know about the fertilizer approach, but an wet season's, brought on some, many, like temporary fungal problems.
    HOPE SO! So long, and good to hear from YOU. If, your by the sea, Vancouver Island capital?, have two good retirement friends doct'rs retired there recently, he -- out of know where, very bad lower back, could use an little garden help, before his operation. Try me, temporarily, kannutipper@gmail, solely for THIS, an special helpful, sorrowful, garden purpose.
    Many Thanks: + k, or k +

7. kannutipper

kannutipper Member

HI: Maybe I'm just an little hasty, re worry about tooo much water, moisture gathering from an little low planting, and ornamental grasses choking off the air-root system. So did put fungicide on it all, and cleared away the debris, but loathed to move it, recommended springtime only, to away back in the yard. We shall see, for it is by far the lesser of an triune group, layed out for visual-privacy-sense, protection, the neighbour did cut down an dozen or so giant 50 yr. old 'cedar's', giving my closer to the house lateral side, new opportunities...for major growth, and expensive planting's.
    Everything is doing well, except this little struggle, but we shall see, I'm hopeful, suggestions et al, have been helpful. Did, fertilize everything, an lot of newer, and mature tree's by ground-injection slow release, so an combination of new-thing's, will be beneficial.
    TO., ON., begin's to wind down the 'garden thing', late October, mind begin's sadly to turn to pond's, and many other abiding-chore's.
    So Long, and than's for your inquiry, help, were on track, maybe planted tooo low, not certain, because of buildup an little too earth, can really set you back.
    Signed + k